• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gtiracer

Sorry, Bit Of A Learner Question (distributor Cap)

Gtiracer

:P Am i right in thinking its fine to use the original distributor and cap with no adapters with throttle bodies on my 1.9 alloy Mi16 D6C engine

I've trawled through photos and can see on various engines the original equipment being used but also some sort of adapter used on other engine pics

Thanks

Edited by Gtiracer

Anthony

Yes, you can use the standard Mi dizzy cap setup with throttle bodies and aftermarket management just fine - although personally I'd take the opportunity to simplify the whole thing and just run a wasted-spark coil instead and get rid of the dizzy cap/arm completely.

16v205

As your going to be make a wiring loom anyway its just as easy to use a coil pack from a 406 or similar. Grab a 406 coil pack and use corsa 16v ht leads. Theres benefits from the coil pack but my sole reason for fitting one was less moving parts = less to go wrong.

Rich

Gtiracer
As your going to be make a wiring loom anyway its just as easy to use a coil pack from a 406 or similar. Grab a 406 coil pack and use corsa 16v ht leads. Theres benefits from the coil pack but my sole reason for fitting one was less moving parts = less to go wrong.

Rich

Ok, sounds good, but a 405 lump and a 406 coil pack then having to use Vauxhall leads? where's the sense in that? Will peugeot ones not fit?

DrSarty

The Corsa ( :( ) leads are good quality and about £30 for a set from Halfrauds. It's to do with connections at the non spark plug end. Coil packs generally seem to have different connectors to dizzy caps.

Rich

Gtiracer

Ok, just striked me as odd thats all.

When you say corsa 16v what Corsa are we talking about the B or C model and which engine size?

Cheers

Anthony
Ok, sounds good, but a 405 lump and a 406 coil pack then having to use Vauxhall leads? where's the sense in that? Will peugeot ones not fit?

It's a bit of a typo on Rich's part - it's a 106/AX/Saxo/306/405/Xantia (or anything else with a 1.8/2.0 8v XU and some later TU 8v engines) wasted-spark coilpack rather than a 406 one, usually made by Bosch. You can also find one on some Vauxhall engines as well, and I'd imagine some other European marques from the early-mid 90's.

If you need one, give me a shout as I've got a couple spare in the garage.

You need the Corsa 16v leads because they fit the XU 16v head much better than the 8v leads with the correct ends for the wasted-spark coil do. From memory, it's Corsa B 1.4/1.6 16v leads that you need - easy and cheap enough to get hold of from any good motorfactor.

16v205

Anthony's semi right :)

It is actually a 406 wasted spark coil pack on mine :( I forgot to mention it was from a 8v turbo engine though. Its identical looking to a 106 coil pack but has a different part number to the one I compared it to a while ago. Its not a coil on the plug style like the 16v 406's.

Rich

Edited by 16v205

Anthony

I forgot about the 406 turbo engine :(

16v205

Your looking for something that looks like this,

post-247-1208362968.jpg

Trick is to wire it the right way around, I done it wrong myself the first time and ive seen it several times since. If you get the connectors mixed up you'll end up with a car that runs fine most the time but intermitently missfires. youll see it flaming behind the butterfly looking into the inlet manifold.

Rich

Edited by 16v205

Baz
If you need one, give me a shout as I've got a couple spare in the garage.

If you want one from Anthony you could pick it up from me if easier for you Alex. :(

choco

Sorry i'm hijacking this tread :( . Have searched the forum for weeks now, and only getting more lost... I would like to put bike (R1) carbs on my 1,9 mi, but not sure what to do with the ignition-part. Checked megasquirt, but it might as well be in chinese, don't have a clue what it all means. Now i saw this topic, so my question is, if i use such a coilpack, do i still need an aftermarket management, or will my standard ecu do? I'm sorry if this sounds really dumb, i'm still learning...

Cheers,

Johnny

Anthony
Now i saw this topic, so my question is, if i use such a coilpack, do i still need an aftermarket management, or will my standard ecu do? I'm sorry if this sounds really dumb, i'm still learning...

Standard Mi management means standard ignition setup - ie a coil and distributor.

To run a wasted-spark coilpack you'll need management that's designed/configurable for it

Gtiracer
If you want one from Anthony you could pick it up from me if easier for you Alex. :(

Yes please buddy, do you mean you have some instead, or you are in contact with anthony and I can pick them up from you instead.

I just need to know who wants the money and how much they are after for the coilpack?

Cheers guys for all the help

Anthony
Yes please buddy, do you mean you have some instead, or you are in contact with anthony and I can pick them up from you instead.

I'm seeing Baz tomorrow so I can give him the coil, and obviously if you can collect that saves you postage :(

Gtiracer

how much money do you want for it?

Anthony
how much money do you want for it?

A tenner sound reasonable? If you give the money to Baz, it'll find its way back to me in due course.

Gtiracer

yeah, thanks very much

Gtiracer

also forgot to say gimme a shout when its there and ill do my best to pick it up, think im round your way on monday anyhow so probably be then

Baz

Should be around Monday. :(

Gtiracer

At that garage i met you at before mate or somewhere else? if somewhere else PM me a postcode and ill find it

Gtiracer

Also forgot to mention when i bought the loom It had a lumenition optronic ignition module with it, now I've been reading what these do and it doesn't look as though i'd be able to use this with a coilpack so can someone reccomend to me which would be better please

Sign in to follow this