• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
adrian_gti

Bottom End Knocking When Cold On My Tt

adrian_gti

Hey Guys for the last few months there has been a knocking sound coming from the TT engine when cold. When the engine is warm you cant hear it but it seems to be getting louder on startup and even my local mechanic noticed it when car was in last week. He said it might be the bottom end. I checked oil level just incase and the oil is fine.

I'm just wondering if it's a big job for the garage changing the bottom end and if I can use a standard 1.9 bottom end? I dont think TT changed anything in that part of the engine?

I've got a couple of spare 1.9 engines so would be great if I could make use of them. Anyone else think it could be something else that causing the knocking noise?

Should I take any precautions now? e.g. not run high boost etc?

Thanks guys.

edit: I did a search but nothing really helped.

Edited by adrian_gti

jackherer

The TT pistons are different.

adrian_gti

oops sorry I forgot to add I'll keep the pistons if their not damaged?

Edited by adrian_gti

base-1

You've been driving a knocking bottom end for months? :P

gerry

it will be the same bottem end but with forged pistons and just ptobably thicker gasket to lower the compression and yes once they knock you need to do the bottem end :P

unless you want one of the pistons to pay you a visit!!

petert

usually once you can hear it the crank is damaged.

adrian_gti

s*it :P anyone know how much it could cost to rebuild? there's only a few places near me that will do it I expect and I have no idea so dont want to be ripped off.

why does the noise go away when the engine is warm? Also could this be causing hesitation?

thanks for the replies.

Edited by adrian_gti

M@tt

it's quite labour intensive and paying someone to do it soon racks up the cost especially at £30/hr or so.

obviously gearbox has to come off, flywheel, timing belt, crank/alternator pulleys etc.

you'd be best strippiing one of your other engines getting the crank checked/polished/gorund on that and get new bearings to match that way that can be slapped straight in rather than taking your one off getting it checked find out its knackered then havign to strip one of your other engines anyway etc all adds to the delay in getting the job done.

i paid £120 to have my crank checked/ground and new mains, big ends and thrust bearings, i did the fitting etc myself.

put up a help wanted post i'm sure you'll find someone not too far either on here or from the PSOOC who'll lend you a hand to do it

Matt

kyepan

is the noise still there when you press the clutch?

base-1
it will be the same bottem end but with forged pistons and just ptobably thicker gasket to lower the compression and yes once they knock you need to do the bottem end :(

TT's use machined standard 1.9 pistons to lower the compression, unless you are a previous owner of the car/engine he's referring to?

adrian_gti
it's quite labour intensive and paying someone to do it soon racks up the cost especially at £30/hr or so.

obviously gearbox has to come off, flywheel, timing belt, crank/alternator pulleys etc.

you'd be best strippiing one of your other engines getting the crank checked/polished/gorund on that and get new bearings to match that way that can be slapped straight in rather than taking your one off getting it checked find out its knackered then havign to strip one of your other engines anyway etc all adds to the delay in getting the job done.

i paid £120 to have my crank checked/ground and new mains, big ends and thrust bearings, i did the fitting etc myself.

put up a help wanted post i'm sure you'll find someone not too far either on here or from the PSOOC who'll lend you a hand to do it

Matt

I'll have to check later if noise goes away when clutch pedal is pressed in. Thanks for the info... I'm absolutley gutted that my engine could be nacked :(

I'll make a post but doubt anyone is close enough to help... plus I dont really have anywhere to do the work... fingers crossed.

Batfink

just get a standard 1.9 block and swap over. The higher compression will probably not be an issue if everything is standard

base-1

What's the chamber increase and compression ratio of a TT engine? "Probably" ain't good enough :(

pee vee

sure it aint piston slap, like 2wd cossies get? that disappears when warm too.

adrian_gti

i dunno what it is.... but now I'm too scared to drive the bloody thing incase I damage the engine. Started car earlier and pressed the clutch in and noise was still there.

owning 205s is starting to become not much fun... this year has been a nightmare and I've ploughed thousands into the cars :( my gf aint happy one bit heh

Does anyone know if this could cause hesitation? as the car does hesitate in the higher revs.

Edited by adrian_gti

M@tt

i doubt a knackered bottom end will cause it to hesitate.

hesitating could be a couple of things, dodgy ign amplifier, coil breaking down or an AFM that needs retracking

base-1

If it's knonking and you've been taking it to high revs then fear the worst, better to be prepared for serious damage and find there isn't all that much. Won't be piston slap on std pistons.

adrian_gti

just thought i would post the finish (well i hope it's finished) to this story. Took the car to another mechanic who within a few mins said "oil change"... car has had an oil change and noise has gone. maybe I need to hear what a knocking engine really sounds like... saved some money though as I've been too scared to drive the car for almost 2 weeks :lol:

hesittation is still there.. have bought all the parts to service it :unsure:

Sign in to follow this