• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest birdii

Pas With Mi Conversion?

Guest birdii

My 205 has got power steering. When i put the MI engine in is it best to use the 405 pump or is there a way to mount the 205 pump so it drives off the crank pulley like it does on the 205?

Are the pump pressures the same?

Thanx!

Guest Admin

The actual pumps themselves are identical, however the MI one is mounted onto the gearbox and is has a pully on it to take a V shaped belt. Unfortunatly you can't mount the 8v one and will need to get one from a 16v.

pug_ham

An alternative is to remove the pas system and keep the rack on the car so you have slightly quicker steering than a non-PAS rack.

If you choose this route, you need to remove the pipework and reservior as well as the ram from on the rack.

Graham.:ph34r:

base-1

just the question i needed answering :ph34r::(

where does the mi16 PAS pump mount to the gearbox? if you just leave it off is there anything else you need to do, like block up holes etc to stop dirt getting in?

Guest hux309

the mi16 pas pump mounts directly onto the gearbox via a bracket that sits on top of it....

i used a 405grd pas pump+bracket but new holes had to be drilled to allign it correctly with the pulley wheel on the cam...

you dont need to block up any holes apart from the rack of course as the pump sits directly on top

cant really get a pic as you wont see sod all as its a bit of a squeeze...

http://ben.loaded.net/albums/hux309/Im000014.jpg

Edited by hux309

Guest birdii

So as long as i have the pump and bracket i can mount it on the 205 gearbox?

Guest hux309

yup....if its an mi16 bracket+pump then yes otherwise its the 405grd and modify the bracket

bearing in mind that mine was a tight squeeze...all the pumps are the same the only thing i can see that differs is the pulley wheel and bracket...

if you mean run it off the same place where the pas on the 205 sits then no as the mi16 doesnt have the mounting holes for this

see the dizzy cap...the mi16 pump sits underneath this

Edited by hux309

Guest birdii

I have got the MI pump, i'll make sure i get the bracket when i pick up the bits then.

Roughly, what does it look like, cos i think it will all be in bits when i get there.

Guest pug309GTI

leave the powersteering of.

i haven't got powersteering connected in my 309 mi16 goodwood. Superb feedback through the steering wheel and can point the car exactly where i want it to go.

powersteering just wastes power.

Ahl

but if he's had powersteering for so long now, he'll break his arms from their sockets when he goes to park it! :ph34r:

jackherer
but if he's had powersteering for so long now, he'll break his arms from their sockets when he goes to park it! ;)

its not that bad at all, 205s dont assist that much really.

I took the pas stuff off my 205 when I dropped the 16v in and I am very pleased with it :D

Ahl

Thats good to know actually as ive always sort of sought after PAS, even though I know it reduces steering feel.

Its a shame there no sort of speed sensitive powersteering kit available with tons of assistance in town ranging to no assistance at high speeds.

Sign in to follow this