• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Furiousd

Steering Issues - Looking For Expert Help!

Furiousd

I've been trying to solve a steering problem I've had with my 205 for the last few months. The car pull/wanders left and right, its worse on motorways at higher speeds eg 70mph

My cars being at the garage last few day's to have new suspension fitted, also resently had a replaced (Not new) steering rack and lower steering column.

My local mechanic has checked the ball joints/wishbones bushes etc etc and can't find the problem. He thinks it may be tracking but I've had this done in the last month as part of my attempt to sort this out.

Is anyone locally to me, prepared to have a look over my car and see if they can diagnose the problem? (And if possible fix it!) I will travel to you at your convenience, preferably a weekend or evening, and offer a reasonable amount of beer tokens for you time (Or money if you prefer :) )

Either reply here or PM please if you are prepared to help me out.

Many thanks in advance!

Chris

Tom Fenton

My guesses would be either wishbone bushes, wishbone ball joint, ovalled hubs, or rear beam u/s. Any of those should be easy for a competant mechanic to spot.

nick

When the wishbone bushes go you can't always feel any play in them. For the sake of £15 for genuine bushes I'd stick some in anyway.

Nick

MrG

what are your tyres like?

We had this problem in our e30 BMW a few years back, turned out to be one of the tyres on the front had a problem (swapping wheels about found the problem) although not noticeable by eye, but removing the tyre found damage inside and a new tyre solved the issue!

Simes

Wishbone bushes, it always is!

Furiousd

Thanks for the reply's. Sounds like it will be worth replacing the wishbone bushes. Tom Fenton has offered to give it the once over, I'm just waiting on when it's convenient for him.

Speaking of the tyres they have worn excessively on the outside, although the tracking has been done recently.

Simes
Speaking of the tyres they have worn excessively on the outside, although the tracking has been done recently.

Failed wishbone bushes can be a cause this.

Furiousd
Failed wishbone bushes can be a cause this.

Deffinately get some wishbone bushes ordered then.

Many thanks

Chris

M@tt

Tom's got the daddy of all workshops and has pretty much everything you can think of tool wise, but if he hasn't got a press i'm only 10mins down the road from him so if you want your old bushes pressing out and new ones in feel free to give me a bell.

C_W

Is the wandering under power/letting off? this usually indicates the wishbone bushes being the problem. If not, the rear suspension might be worth looking at as any play at the back would need constant steering correction at the front.

Tom Fenton

Chris, PM on its way, I've got Dunlop tracking gauges, a press, and a reasonable selection of bits so I'm confident we can either get it sorted or diagnosed at least.

Tom Fenton
Tom's got the daddy of all workshops and has pretty much everything you can think of tool wise, but if he hasn't got a press i'm only 10mins down the road from him so if you want your old bushes pressing out and new ones in feel free to give me a bell.

Damn it Matt, you forgot to mention the collection of boob calendars!!!!

Tom Fenton

Well after having the car in the air and all 4 wheels off and a good look round it seems the problem is the good old 205 achilles heel, the rear beam. The giveaway was the witness marks on the drivers side inner arch where the tyre has been lightly rubbing. With the wheel off and giving the trailing arm a good old tug there was a little play in the arm. However the beam is free and not seized, the wheel is sitting pretty well upright, so fingers crossed it may have been caught early enough to do something about it.

The wishbone bushes have been previously changed for poly items, there was no movement in them as such other than a small amount of elasticity in the bush material, with me levering with an 18" crowbar. However the jury is not out on them yet so depending on how it is with the rear beam sorted it may need the bushes doing too.............

Furiousd
Well after having the car in the air and all 4 wheels off and a good look round it seems the problem is the good old 205 achilles heel, the rear beam. The giveaway was the witness marks on the drivers side inner arch where the tyre has been lightly rubbing. With the wheel off and giving the trailing arm a good old tug there was a little play in the arm. However the beam is free and not seized, the wheel is sitting pretty well upright, so fingers crossed it may have been caught early enough to do something about it.

The wishbone bushes have been previously changed for poly items, there was no movement in them as such other than a small amount of elasticity in the bush material, with me levering with an 18" crowbar. However the jury is not out on them yet so depending on how it is with the rear beam sorted it may need the bushes doing too.............

Many thanks again for taking the time to check the car over Tom :)

Here's hoping the beam is repairable and once the new bearings and mounts etc are fitted I can drive it in a straight line again!

Cheers

Chris

Sign in to follow this