• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
All Praise The GTI

Gaz Gha Coilovers, Gti-6 Engine

All Praise The GTI

as above i want to get some in the group buy but i dont know which springs i need?

ill be using standard top mounts with group N dohnuts

its stripped out and caged gti with a 6 lump,used for mainly track but some fast B road thrashing!

thanks

Baz

At a rough estimate for track and fast road use, around 300lbs. Presuming you're running road/semi-slicks.

RossD

Running with fronts as stiff as that you'll also need to uprate the rear to retain the handling balance.

All Praise The GTI

forgot to say its running complete front and back 309 running gear,arms,arb etc and beam.

its shod with paradas but i may upgrade to some r888s at some point.

James_R

As said if you're not running a very uprated rear end 300lbs is far too stiff. I'm running 300lbs but with 25mm rear bars on a 205 beam.

You'll want to be in the 200-225 area, again moving to semi slicks will just make the car grip more, not counter the rear bring too soft.

Matt Holley

I am changing to coilovers soon and have been advised to go for 180lb springs with a gti6 engine and 309 running gear.

smighall

180 sounds far to soft to me.

I'm running 300 with 23mm bars and 25mm ARB on a 309 beam.

Matt Holley

I am using a standard 309 gti beam though I have not uprated bars or arb, time will tell I suppose.

Edited by matt holley

smighall

Do you only use it on track, or on the road aswell?

I'd probably get 225lb springs personally.

All Praise The GTI

the 309 beam is standard except for solid mounts and will have the gaz rears fitted

so 225 is the way to go?

Miles

It's a personal thing, Try a half way house and if you don;t like just buy some more, They are dirt cheap and come in all Lb's and length's

VisaGTi16v

What sort of length spring would be needed though for say 225lbs and to give a slightly lower front than standard, 30mm for example. This may actually be an irrelevant question as some of the coilovers come with adjustable height platforms I think....

James_R

almost all coiloevrs come with adj platforms these days, it's more a question of how much free spring length do you need with a certain poundage as you don't really want to be going coil bound.

I think it's in the 8-9" free length you want with 200lbs springs.

Alastairh

I run 275lb, 23mm Torsion bars, and 25mm arb. Feels evenly setup. But i may down tune the rear at some point as its not got the caracter i want from a 205, but i may give it a chance with sme new tyres. - 1.9 MI.

Gary is a good person to speak to on this subject from experience :P

Al

Edited by Alastairh

James_R
I run 275lb, 23mm Torsion bars, and 25mm arb. Feels evenly setup. But i may down tune the rear at some point as its not got the caracter i want from a 205, but i may give it a chance with sme new tyres. - 1.9 MI.

Gary is a good person to speak to on this subject from experience :P

Al

doesn't help with a std beam though al :D

VisaGTi16v

Cheers James. I am tempted to get the front set now in the grp buy due to the prices even though it will nuke the old bank account and then sort some rears out later in the year, will be lucky if I get the right height correct first off as not sure how the Visa compares to a 205, cant be far off but at least the springs are cheap and easy to get hold of and hopefully with the adjustable platforms it should be adjustable enough without coil issues etc

Edited by VisaGTi16v

James_R

Think gaz only wanted £18 a spring :o which is amazing value I paid alot more than that for some 400lbs 6" ones earlier this year :blush:

I've got a few different ones knocking about if you fancy some stiffer ones (2.5" jobs)

VisaGTi16v

cheers, need to decide if I can justify them now heh, its a shame the top mounts are a lot more than the compbrake ones for example, do you know if those ones will fit the Gaz shocks? I know everytime I read about top mounts on here people always seem to have loads of trouble with shaft lengths, not enough thread and all that so at least buying the gaz ones would ensure they fit right but at a extra cost..

James_R

you just need a shallow top nut and they fit ok, I've got MED top mounts for mint.

VisaGTi16v

So the £39+vat compbrake ones would be fine then with a shallow nut, just worried about not enough thread being used? That would save a bit of money. I presume you mean "mine" or do you call your car Mint heh

James_R

Yes bit of a typo there :mellow: car's refered to as BTX

If you order the gaz's with the longer top thread yeah they'll fit.

VisaGTi16v

ok ta

joe1joe

just seeing what u think, would say 200 pound springs 8 inch long suit a 205 with a 1.6 16v (106 gti engine) with a 309 gti rear beam on solid mounts, car is used for trsck days and everyday transport. not to worried about it being stiff on the roads. gona get coilovers on the group buy, not hi- jacking the thread honest ;) and i will be fitting the eccentric top mounts aswell

Edited by joe1joe

joe1joe

any suggestions would be great as i need to order these before i miss out on the group buy!

Sign in to follow this