• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dandu

Engine Stalling

Dandu

Hi,

I recently got in trouble while starting up my engine. The car was allowed to sleep through the winter - let's say 4 months. Some days ago I wanted the engine to get a chance to breathe some fresh air. But unfortunately I had to figure out, that it doesn't feel motivated to run smoothly. I turned the key, waited at least 10 seconds for the engine to start, loosened the throttle ... and the engine starved immediately. In the meanwhile the wall at the back of my car has been coated black. It appeared to me, that the engine was running extremely fat. Any ideas? I consider the AFM to work improperly.

Much thanks in advance

Dandu

NeilGTi85
Hi,

I recently got in trouble while starting up my engine. The car was allowed to sleep through the winter - let's say 4 months. Some days ago I wanted the engine to get a chance to breathe some fresh air. But unfortunately I had to figure out, that it doesn't feel motivated to run smoothly. I turned the key, waited at least 10 seconds for the engine to start, loosened the throttle ... and the engine starved immediately. In the meanwhile the wall at the back of my car has been coated black. It appeared to me, that the engine was running extremely fat. Any ideas? I consider the AFM to work improperly.

Much thanks in advance

Dandu

I'm no expert but I would suggest to give it a good run down a m'way for awhile to clear it out......black smoke = to much fuel.....

Maybe a oil change, leads plugs etc....

DamirGTI

Too rich mixture :wacko: try to replace the ECU temp. sensor (it's cheap and easy to replace .. ) .. if that doesn't help try to play a little bit with the allen screw on the AFM ..

Regards ! :)

Damir

EDIT : wire up the wideband sensor (i know that you have one) and go for a spin - measure the air fuel ratio :(

Edited by DamirGTI

NeilGTi85

Also, a friend of mine has told me it could be the fuel. Apparently unleaded can go off....so maybe some new juice.....

Neil

Dandu

Hey Damir, it's always a pleasure to get your help. Much thanks ... for everybody trying to help me. I'll definitely check the temp sensor and the signal processing via AFM. I'll keep you informed.

Bye Dandu

Dandu

As far as I know, my problem is not caused by the ECU temp sensor. Are there any ideas left? Bye Dandu

DamirGTI

Did you check the mixture with WB sensor ? :)

Rgs !

Damir

Dandu

Hi Damir,

I couldn't do that, because the engine would have starved to death. The trouble was, that I got the chance to start the engine but it always refused to idle.

But in the meantime I could figure out the solution of my problem ... the cable - linking ignition coil and distributor cap - seems to be a bit faulty. The cap should be replaced as well.

Unfortunately I'm not sure about a proper replacement for the cable. I don't know if it originates of a 205 GTI or a 405 MI16. What do I have to pay attention to when bying another cable - resistance only?

Much thanks for your help, Damir. And enjoy the summer!

Bye Dandu

DamirGTI

Hi !

Strange :rolleyes: , so the engine starts , you can drive the car (or you can't ?) but it will not idle or pull until you increase the revs , right ?

What could happened to the engine 4 months inside the garage :blink: ?! try looking inside the AFM , remove the black plastic cover and observe the carbon track carefully , if it's scratched (you'll see white areas or white spots ) it could make similar problem .. also try testing the AFM with analogue multimeter (digital one will do but analogue is better for this ..) and 9V battery : http://frwilk.com/944dme/afm.htm the voltage must rise linear when you move the whipper arm from the start to the end point , if not , if the readings become erratic on one precise position (like a sudden drop and build up of the voltage) then proceed with retracking .

Take a picture of the dizzy cap and we'll see what you have :) as for the coil tower <-> dizzy cap HT lead , just unplug it and find something similar in your local car part store , any kind of lead will do as long as the ends are the same (male or female) take samples with you (dizzy cap , rotor arm , leads) and show them to the guy in the store he'll find something suitable..

(well must say i can't stand this "new" summer temperatures any more , they're just hotter and hotter every year dunno what's wrong with the atmosphere :ph34r: , i live 200m from the see but i couldn't be bother to get out from the house for a swim or anything really until the sun goes away cos it's melting party everywhere from 10:00 till 17:00 o'clock ... i now prefer winter , snow , skiing that sort of things you get sick and tired of the see living next to it 365 days in the year :D )

Rgs ! B)

Damir

Dandu

Hey Damir,

in Germany the summer feels pretty comfortable. But I suppose the heat will melt us away as soon as possible too. Thus you've got my total sympathy.

Within my last post I wanted to depict that the car is willing to run again. The idle is as high and smooth as usual. The problem was a slightly worn cable coming from the ignition coil -> dizzy cap. Just to prevent any problems in the future I plan to replace the cable.

From then on everything should be in good condition. Much thanks for your help, Damir.

Bye Dandu

Dandu

Don't halloo till you're out of the wood! ...

Its a pity. Last thursday I had a lot of fun with the car. Whatever condition idle, POT, WOT ... there car was fantastic. I reignited the engine quite often. But suddenly (without a preparation) the engine came up with the same problem as before. As soon as the engine kicks in, it turns off. Forcing the engine to stay alive (fiddling with the gaspedal) results in clouds of smoke behind the car. It seems like a lot of unburned fuel is thrown into the environment. It must be the ignition ...

Conditions already checked:

1. Spark plugs are black, full of fuel.

2. Ignition cables, ignition module, ignition coil experimantelly replaced. No change.

3. Dizzy cap and finger exchanged. Ignition cable (coil -> dizzy cap) exchanged as well. No change.

4. Cables going to the ignition module and to the ignition coil checked. Everything is ok.

5. Water temp sensor checked. Resistance ok. Experimantally replaced, no change.

7. Cable going to the water temp sensor checked. Resistance measured, 1.3kOhm. Might be ok?

8. AFM checked. Ok.

9. Watching the bottom of the engine bay, looking for loose cables. Ok!

What about the dizzy itself? Is it possible that it frequently works. Actually it feels like a cable might be broken. But which one? Or perhaps I should say ... which one else?

Bye Dandu

Edited by Dandu

Dandu

It seems like the ECU itself is out of order. Does anybody know how to check it (Jetronic, 1.9L)? Or better ... is anybody able to offer a spare one (for a reasonable price)?

Bye Dandu

Gentrix

Hy Andi,

I once had this with my Gentry - and it wasn´t the water-temp. sensor, but it´s plug.

Check the Plug, under the rubbergrommet it might broke a cable or in my case - one terminal just slid out of the Plug and wasn´t connecting.

For an other Jetronic ECU - I´m not sure - I might have a look if there is one left. At least I can borrow you one for a check.

andi from Hamburg

Dandu

Hi Andi,

as already depicted ... the water temp sensor has been checked. The cable too. I got reasonable values for the resistance. But much thanks for your offer. Bytheway you got a mail. :blush:

Bye Dandu

DamirGTI
It seems like the ECU itself is out of order. Does anybody know how to check it (Jetronic, 1.9L)? Or better ... is anybody able to offer a spare one (for a reasonable price)?

Bye Dandu

Was just thinking to say that you try with another (but OE non modified) ECU , dunno how can you test one :blush: it's much simpler just to swap the ECU's over and see what happens then :) ...

I have one spare ECU but it's modified :)

Also you've had an adjustable fuel pressure reg. on this car right ? :mellow: if so cut down the pressure a little bit and re-adjust the ignition timing afterwards ..and see if that helps ..

Rgs ! B)

Damir

Dandu

Hey Damir,

actually I don't have a fuel pressure regulator. I bought one, but I didn't install it. It was not necessary. The ECU is my last hope.

But thanks anyway ... Bye Dandu

Dandu

Hi everybody,

it seems like my additional (selfmade) ECU was non-functional.

Much thanks for your help anyway ... It has been a pleasure once again.

Cheers Dandu

DamirGTI

Nice one :D

Fit an adjustable pressure reg. instead , it's better solutionthen than modified Jetronic ECU :)

Rgs !

Damir

Sign in to follow this