• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wardy18

Next Seasons Race Engine

wardy18

Hi All

A bit of forward plannin for next years hillcimb season (even thou this one has only just started and ive crashed already lol ;) )

I heard the other week that a guy in my class who has a BMW M3 E36, the 3 ltr job, the car so far has had about £18000 spent on teh car already and its somethin special, you always get the idiots that spend tens of thousands for just our one hillclimb on the island and so spoilin it for the rest of us, ok bark over!!

Anyway this guy apparently has had a new engine built for him, approx 400bhp worth of engine so pretty much blowin me out of the water, as my origianl plan was to go for a 2.2 XUD9 block for next year with a UBV head i dont really know if its worth spendin that money to still not be competitive, i know its not jus the power, its the handling also but still i havent got that sort fo money to spend!!

So now you have an idea of the situation i have thought about dropping in the Up To 1800cc class from the 1801cc and Over that im in this year.

What would i need to do to the XU9 block that i have to drop it from 1905 to 1800 exactly?!?!? would it be a matter of smaller pistons or a different crank........PLEASE ADVISE?! I just wanna see what sort of power i can still get out of a 1800cc XU9 engine?!

Regards

Simon

ifcho

why not the xu7jp4 engine? From posts here I have seen it is quite good starting base

Sandy

Build it from the XU7 basically, but using the 205 block. The XU7 crank is 81.4mm stroke, with 83.5mm pistons (and rods to fit) you'll get 1782cc.

wardy18

is this an expensive build?!

so i would get an XU7 block and fit the crank to my XU9, is that what u mean mate or just use the XU7 block as it is, what size pistons are standard in this block?!

ifcho

standard is 83 mm...

the standard CC of this engine is 1762cc

Miles

The block, Liner's and pistons are all the same size, It's only the crank and Rods which makes the CC change,

The 1580, 1782 & 1905 blocks are all basically the same which makes things real easy, I know yr's ago there was allot of 1.8 engine's built for the Roadsaloons to beat the Golf's which started (I think) the 1.8 class.

wardy18

sounds great to me, just need to price the 2 options up that i have, the 2.2 XUD9 short engine and the 1.8 XU7 short engine, at least then i can plan what im going to do next year while i see how this year goes with the competition in the class!!

ifcho

I think that the xu7 engine will come out much more cheaper...as apparently all the mods applicable to GTI-6 engines work on that one as well.

Finding such an engine should be an easy job as well.

Edited by ifcho

Sandy

I said 83.5mm, assuming that oversize pistons would be used.

The XU7 crank has 45mm big end journals, so rod choice is different to the bigger XU engines.

You could build a cheap engine by simply re-blocking a standard XU7J4 bottom end into the 205 block and dropping the 8v head on. For 16v things can be simple using GTi6 cams in the XU10J4 or J4RS heads or ideally (IMO) a ported XU7J4 head, which can have port shapes better suited to the smaller capacity. If you want to go further though, you need intruder pistons, either Mi16 pattern with shorter custom rods or special pistons and rods if you want to keep the XU7J4 rod/stroke/crown height geometry.

wardy18

so pretty much i would need to source a XU7J4 full engine, which would be easier - fitting the XU7 full engine or as you said re-blocking the XU7 into the XU9, is there any advantages of this?!

Sandy

You could just use an XU7J4 wholesale, but the block *could* be described as not appearing as the original, there are some subtle visual differences to the trained eye. Much like the Mi16.

wardy18

as long as this block was fitted as standard to a model of 205 then its ok with the MSA

welshpug

so ideally to comply with the rules then you need to use an XU5/9 block, just stick all the XU7 innards inside.

what's the deal with the head though? is it only the block that has to be original?

VisaGTi16v

No it doesnt have to have been fitted to one originally, it just has to be externally identifiable as one fitted, ie look the same on the outside. In modified production the head is free, run what you want, in road going (with all interior trim etc) head must be one originally available for the car ie 8v only for a 205

wardy18

i think ill just stick with the 8v heads for now, more torque, 16v are higher revving which is not what i really need!!

so what is the XU7 engine from then!?

VisaGTi16v

Standard 16v has more torque than a standard 8v....people always say the 16v feels gutless low down compared to an 8v but thats just because it keeps going for longer. If you are going to be building up a completely new engine it would be a shame to stick to 8v when you dont need to as you will be sacrificing a lot of bhp which is afterall why you need to build a new engine in the first place.....

1.8 Xsara's, late 306's etc I think but dont quote me on that

jackherer
so what is the XU7 engine from then!?

The cheapest donor for 1.8s has to be Xantias.

James_R

Xantia

Xsara

sure there's more with these engine out there.

As said Xantia's go for peanuts these days, want a biddy's old low miler :( good luck

wardy18

the only thing is that these engines are not one which was produced as standard in a 205, it may be externally identifyable as one for a 205 but if they ever get funny and investigate and require and engine code, i dont wanna spend all that money on a race block only for them to reject it!!

James_R

Think the point is you can jsut pop the crank rods, pistons&liners in to the 8v block and it's not a problem then.

Or plan B you put an 8v engine plate on the XU7 block.

welshpug

not all XU7's were 16v.

guffe
not all XU7's were 16v.

Yes, the ticket is the XU7JP4 (LFY) engine.

James_R

makes no ends no XU7 was in a 205 though, which is the bit to get round :(

VisaGTi16v

As I have said (and James), there is no rule that says it had to be in a 205, the rule states it has to be externally identifiable as one originally fitted to the car

VisaGTi16v

On this note the sprint rules do wind me up, far simpler in racing where most of the time the crank just has to be interchangable with an original one so you can run xu10 blocks which are of different external dimensions etc quite happily.

Sign in to follow this