• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mr2haz

Cleaning Advice

mr2haz

My 205 has been standing still for a long time and has not had a proper clean in a long time. So there is moss and everything all over it.

I was after some advice on what products to use and what to do to give it a good clean up and look its best.

Dan Ingram

Give it a good going over with a pressure washer to get rid of all the moss. Then give it a good wash (2 bucket method if you can). Invest in a clay bar and give it a going over with that and a suitable lubricant. Then it all depends on how serious you want to get. Theres polishes, paint cleansers, glazes, sealants and waxes. You could use them all or just go for a polish then a wax. Its up to you really.

gerlewislewis

what do you mean suitable lubricant Dan? do you use that with the clay bar?

Can you recommend a website to stock myself up (im looking forward to getting my sorrento polished to death this summer!), and maybe some products.

Cheers

Ger

Dan Ingram

You need something to use with the clay bar to lubricate it. You can buy proper lubricants or use a detailing spray or I use soapy water as its a lot cheaper and works just aswell.

As for a website go to www.detailingworld.com very informative and lots of recommendations on there as to where to buy stuff. Beware though detailing can become very addictive.

Baz

Get yourself some TFR/Truckwash, it's a fairly caustic alkali, you may want to dilute it down a bit. Spray that on first off, and then sponge wash as normal, the truckwash will get into all the little places that a sponge and even pressure washer sometimes doesn't, you'll be rising out crap for hours. I usually find one decent application then a couple of sponge washes fine, but you may need a couple depending on how bad it's got.

You can then clay bar/mop/compound the paintwork if you wish, but it'll come back up to a shine with a good polish with a slight cut to it, just may need a bit more elbow grease, then if you so wish use a sealant polish/wax as a finisher.

You'll definitely want to polish all the paint surfaces and treat all the plastics etc afterwards though as it removes any wax/sealant etc you may have on there already, it'll be very clean, but possibly quite flat, takes it right back so you can start again.

If the car's red, think twice before doing the above unless very diluted or you're prepared for a long-haul of re-polishing up the paintwork, as it'll go pink... :blush:

I must remember to take pictures of all the stages of when i (properly) clean a neglected car, Anthony's J-reg would've been perfect as it's white, was covered in moss and crap before i got it! Could really see the transformation! :)

Edited by Baz

SIDCPHIL

www.polishedbliss.com

Top company

mr2haz

My car is black. I have just had a new bonnet painted and ready to fit so I want the rest of the car clean to match the bonnet.

I have a pressure washer but it isn't a very big one. Is there any actual products/brands people would recommend?

SIDCPHIL
Polished BlissCheck out one of his jobs Edited by SIDCPHIL

welshpug

TFR is great, if you don't want shiny paint....

SIDCPHIL

I will be machining my car once all internal mods are complete

Shiney is faster :blush:

mr2haz

Wow, there is a lot to take in!

Last Legend

I woudnt dare use truckwash on my paint,possibly an APC on the really grubby bits,(engine,wheelarches,wheels any stubborn moss) deataling world is a wealth of information.

Baz

See i don't subscribe to all this new age expensive pansy-ass detailing s*it.

Good old fashionned methods have worked fine for me for years now. :)

Paintguy
See i don't subscribe to all this new age expensive pansy-ass detailing s*it.

Good old fashionned methods have worked fine for me for years now. :)

Ditto.

'Detailing' (I even hate the word as it's not really an accurate description) is the latest craze/fad/bandwagon, and whilst I have absolutely no problem with those that wish to dedicate their time and money to such a hobby, I do tend to get a little tired of it being rammed down my throat on every motoring oriented forum that I visit.

Just because it's the latest thing doesn't mean it's the only way to clean a car :)

Rippthrough

Don't let your mate wash it with tractor wash, the lacquer falls off, and you become an unhappy chappy.

Andy_C

Why bother with TFR??? you can transform your car with products costing next to nothing, just use them properly. A strong shampoo mix will clean the car up and you can get that for pennies (OK maybe a quid from your local poundshop) and same poundshop will probably get you some all purpose cleaner, alloy wheel cleaner and trim shine, sponge and cloths for maybe a tenner.

Or you could go the crazy route like I did but that will obviously upset some folks :)

Or bring it to me and I'll sort it for you :)

Pug_101

For moss you can't beat an All Purpose Cleaner, this stuff not only removes the moss on the car it kills it to so it doesn't come back. Most APC's are safe to use at dilutions of 4:1 and will not harm the paintwork at this mix. mind you it will take any wax off (not an issue for the OP). After that I would wash the car down using a decent shampoo and as said the car would no doubt benefit from using a clay bar and/or a paint cleaner.

As for dealers there are plenty around and a new one has recently joined this forum's discounters scheme :wacko:

sutol
TFR is great, if you don't want shiny paint....

Agreed, TFR will remove the skin off your hands, it melts tabacco film when sprayed neat on the paintwork indoors, then it dulls the paint if you dont get it off quick.

Great for cleaning ally up and removing brake dust from ally wheels. :)

P.S. I got some ally wheel cleaner complete with a little brush from JTF and its great stuff !

Edited by sutol

Sign in to follow this