• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kate205gti

Emerald Idle?

kate205gti

Ive got Emerald ECU on my TBs and reset the throttle pot recently after changing the TPS, only now the idle is being odd!

starts on the key and idles at 1k straight away lovely, but as soon as its been for a little jaunt it then idles between 1.5k and 2k :) it comes down slowly if you play with the throttle but why is it doing this and what have i done? :P

cheers ;)

Anthony

You've not made the schoolboy (or should that be girl?) error of putting the TPS on so that it's hitting the end of it's travel with the throttle shut have you? That will cause odd issues like this sometimes as the throttle is in effect being held open slightly.

The numbers on the Emerald should give you a clue as to what the issue is - you should have the TPS reading something in the region of about 10-30 with the throttle shut, and it should return to the same number (give or take 1 or 2) everytime you open and shut the throttle. If the TPS is reading 0 then it's probably positioned incorrectly and acting as a throttle stop, and if the TPS doesn't return to the same number but "sticks" on a higher one then it suggests either the TPS is loose or the throttle isn't closing properly.

Otherwise, double check the bodies are balanced still.

kate205gti

its shutting at 37 each time now - was 22 but that was with the other spring which ive now replaced :)

all bodies balanced at just over 5 :D

James_R

Think 4 is better to aim for. would be the high idle issue. just knock it back on the master and reset the TPS again again.

Anthony
its shutting at 37 each time now - was 22 but that was with the other spring which ive now replaced :)

Did you adjusted the position of the TPS at the same time?

If you didn't, then the problem looks like it's related to what you've done, as the throttle isn't shutting as far as it was (further open the throttle is, the higher the number). Obviously if you've unbolted and adjusted the TPS then comparing the numbers before and after is meaningless.

kate205gti

yup i pulled that off too and stuck new one on (and caused flames out the trumpets!) - moved it back a bit till it stopped setting fire to me :D

it was balanced at 6 or 7 at Emerald Im sure thou?? :)

Anthony
it was balanced at 6 or 7 at Emerald Im sure thou?? :)

I doubt it, atleast not on the same synchrometer, otherwise the idle speed would have been even higher.

In basic terms - the higher the number on the synchrometer, the more air the engine is sucking in, and thus the higher the idle speed.

As per James's comment, I'm pretty sure that when I've balanced your TB's in the past they've been around 4.0-4.5 rather than as high as 5, and certainly not been anywhere near 6 or 7.

vern

Have you changed the"conditions that enable idle control" with the new tps settings?.

James_R

Flames out of trumpets is lean running, was that before you rest the thing :s

4.5 is waht I aimed for, could be 6/7 on Daves, but on Gary's one (the one you're borrowing off me I've been borrowing for a while) reads above. it's kg's per metre of something, but some odd airflow number. would explain the good cold idle, and the high hot idle, you could retard the ign timing when it's warm to reduce the idle, but the fuelling needs tweaking to do that, and it can be a little lump from playing with that.

Sign in to follow this