• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bill

1.6 Gearbox Differences

bill

I've noticed theres different gearboxes for the 1.6, can someone put me right please, and breifly tell what the crack is?

am i right in thinking there are 2 different types? is it just that they have reverse in different places, or do they differ in any other ways? is one stronger/better than the other etc, and will they both fit on a 205 mi16?

cheers

mattmk1
I've noticed theres different gearboxes for the 1.6, can someone put me right please, and breifly tell what the crack is?

am i right in thinking there are 2 different types? is it just that they have reverse in different places, or do they differ in any other ways? is one stronger/better than the other etc, and will they both fit on a 205 mi16?

cheers

Yup theres two different types and they have reverse in different places. BE1 boxes as theyre known have reverse beside first and you have the lift a lever to select reverse.. BE3 boxes are on later cars, have no gate and reverse is underneath 5th. Theoretically both boxes will fit, but its a fair bit of work swapping between them as the clutch cables, gear linkages, clutch pedals and lift up reverse cable thingy are all different.

Regards strength, speaking from my own experience, ive always found BE1 boxes to be stronger. BE3 boxes always seem to crunch into 2nd or 3rd unless theyve been rebuilt.

Hope thats of some help;

Anthony

There's BE1 (reverse next to first) and BE3 (reverse below 5th), which changed over around G reg

As well as the location of reverse, they both have different clutch arm operation (BE3 is better) and BE1 has a lift-up reverse lockout on it. I'm not really sure that either is stronger than the other to be honest, and bgenerally oth will work with an Mi16 - you do need to be a bit careful though, as some very early BE1 boxes don't have the hole for the crank sensor on them.

bill

ok, thanks i got the jist now i think, my car has a be3 in it then, but its a bit fooked, so i should be thinking of replacing it with another be3 then, to save any problems

Anthony
ok, thanks i got the jist now i think, my car has a be3 in it then, but its a bit fooked, so i should be thinking of replacing it with another be3 then, to save any problems

It's the easiest way, yes

bill

cheers guys :(

jord294

i have a be3 1.6 gearbox for sale bill.

make me a sensible offer, if your interested :(

cheers

bill
i have a be3 1.6 gearbox for sale bill.

make me a sensible offer, if your interested :)

cheers

i@m after one with a diff in to be honest mate, but if it proves more expensive than i thought i'll keep you in mind

cheers

jord294
i@m after one with a diff in to be honest mate, but if it proves more expensive than i thought i'll keep you in mind

cheers

i take it you mean your after a gearbox with lsd?

prepare to spend big bucks i'm afraid

marksorrento205

Just a quick question regarding 1.6 boxes, do they have a code / part no so you can tell the difference between a 1.6 and 1.9 BE3? Cheers fella's.

Turbloide2

Hi all just searching looking for info on changing from a 1.6 be1 to a 1.6 be3

Ive bought a low mileage be3 box as my be1 is on its way out.

What do i exactly need to change to make the be3 fit my car ?

Thanks in advance for any info :P

mattmk1
Hi all just searching looking for info on changing from a 1.6 be1 to a 1.6 be3

Ive bought a low mileage be3 box as my be1 is on its way out.

What do i exactly need to change to make the be3 fit my car ?

Thanks in advance for any info :D

You need the clutch pedal from a BE3 car, a BE3 clutch cable and i think a set of BE3 linkage rods. Although cant remmber if u can adjust the BE1 rods to fit or not. Also really want a BE3 gearknob if you want to be petty :)

steve@cornwall
You need the clutch pedal from a BE3 car, a BE3 clutch cable and i think a set of BE3 linkage rods. Although cant remmber if u can adjust the BE1 rods to fit or not. Also really want a BE3 gearknob if you want to be petty :rolleyes:

Don't need the rods, they're fine as is- but you will need the clutch pedal

Shame you're not closer as I have a spare be1 and want a be3!!!!

Sign in to follow this