• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
casanova2007

Help Oil Seal Problem

casanova2007

just finished fitting a kent pt27 cam and vernier pulley to my 1.9 8v fast road/track car (got 45's, skimmed head exhaust etc). problem is the cam shaft oil seal wont stay where its supposed to, its ok on idle but as soon as you rev it hard it appears next to the pulley and starts spraying oil out. the pulley hasnt got any covers on it because they werent there when i got it, would this make any difference? and is there anything i could do to stop it comin out? its a genuine peugeot item too, other than this it runs really well on idle and pulls like a train!! any ideas???

philfingers

could be the camshaft is bent. An oil seal shouldn;t need anything to hold it in really. not sure on the 8v, never got that far with it!

casanova2007

cam shaft spins evenly and so does the pulley,so i suspect it to be straight, its got me puzzled!!

Tom Fenton

Excessive crankcase pressure in the cam cover causing the seal to be pushed out??

casanova2007

checked all the breathers today, there all clear and the crankcase pressure is being vented ok so im lost. sombody must have a solution cause i cant figure it out. the old one always leaked a bit but now new ones wont stay in. is there anyway i can stick it in?

Mikey G

Check the oil relief hole at the bottom of the seal recess isnt blocked off, oil pressure coming from the main supply on the first bearing could be building up and forcing the seal out.

pike_1.9cti

I've got this problem! Brought a head with work done and cammed, running 40's. Mind you i haven't got an original seal, but had a few different ones in there. Not wanting to pay 70quid for a headset as thats the only way i can get the pug oil seal at the stealers! Been through everything like you have and still 3months later its leaking. I've even tried sealing it in place with different adhesives, but soon as its under load pops again. Starting to get really annoyed as my driveway is a mess!

pike_1.9cti

Forgot to say that i've heard on some cars people have screwed in washers in the side of the head to stop the seal moving out, but would rather know why its happening.

casanova2007

managed to fix the seal in place with locktite, lock'n'seal. left it to dry for 22 hours just to be on the safe side and now ive got oil coming out of the filler neck breather. i have noticed that 1 of my oil cooler pipes is kinked could this be the cause of my problem?

Mikey G

Well you either have serious crankcase pressure from worn rings or a blocked breather somewhere. A kinked oil cooler pipe would cause low oil pressure if its twisted enough.

Best bet is to go through all the breather pipes and check for blockages.

philfingers

A kinked oil cooler pipe isn't good. but the pressure relief valve (oil pump spring) should stop any excess pressure building. Sounds like you've got excessive crankcase pressure

Sorry folks, not sure how that happened!

Edited by philfingers

philfingers

A kinked oil cooler pipe isn't good. but the pressure relief valve (oil pump spring) should stop any excess pressure building. Sounds like you've got excessive crankcase pressure

casanova2007

unkinked the oil cooler hose today and yipee its all back to normal,doin an oil change tomorow, it just never ends/ plus gotta sort the pinking out in low down revs, i think it might be time for a new dizzy with an advance curve to suit! but it does go well, better than i thought, my mates got a rs turbo pushin out 150bhp and i pissed all over him this evening!!!!!

casanova2007

forgot to say pike_1.9cti have you tried loctite-lock'n'seal to keep your seal in cos its good stuff!

pike_1.9cti

I actually had a go with rtv but just leaving it for a long time. (All weekend). Seems to have done the trick so far, but the big test will be on the rollers in the next couple of weeks. Only had piston rings done a few weeks ago so been running it in. Pain in the rear though like you said, never ending checking breather pipes, having pressure tests etc. Hopefully clean driveways for the both of us now on!:-)

pike_1.9cti

Also i can recommend getting the advance curve changed on the dizzy. I didn't have enough funds to go full management, so went to h&h ignition solutions. friendly and helpfully chaps there.

Sign in to follow this