• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Craigb

Wiring Temperature Gauge

Craigb

Having moved from a dizzy system to a coil pack, i have one last thing to sort out , and that is the wiring for the temperature gauge and warning light .

the original thermostat housing has two seperate sensors/senders , whereas the coil pack housing only has i two pin plug.

I managed to get the gauge to run backwards , ie move down when hot , but i can't seem to get it to work the other way .

Am i missing something

Mikey G

You probably have the wires crossed.

On the 2 pin switches one of them is for the temp gauge and will show a resistance to ground when you put a meter on it, the other is switched to ground when the engine gets over temp and so should show an open circuit when cold.

HTH

Craigb

Cheers for that , it appears i have a dodgy sensor then as they both are showing open circuit. need to find a new one now.

Craigb

Having looked at the service box site for far too long , I am confused

There appears to be three different sensors , switches that can be in the location of my iffy one.

The one i have is light blue , can anyone shed any light on the correct part number ?

Mikey G

Aircon engines have 3 sensors, brown one is for the aircon to control the fans, green is for the ECU and the blue one is for the temperature gauge and stop light switch.

IIRC earlier ECU temp sensors were blue so dont mix these up.

I cant get on service box at the moment its all gone french :wacko:

Right sussed service box, it looks like its part number 1338 09 as it mentions its colour and on one page i found it mention 'info water temperature for display'.

Part number 0242 85 looks like the one needed for non aircon models but no colour is mentioned.

Edited by Mikey G

Craigb

cheers

will get on to peugeot tomorrow

pug_ham

Craig, are the sensors are in the thermostat housing I sold you?

If they are what colours are the sensors? I thought there was one blue (CTS) & one light grey which is the water temp guage & warning light.

I've got some others here I can check if needed.

Graham.

Craigb
Craig, are the sensors are in the thermostat housing I sold you?

If they are what colours are the sensors? I thought there was one blue (CTS) & one light grey which is the water temp gauge & warning light.

I've got some others here I can check if needed.

Graham.

Yes they are Graham .

one is a darker blue on the left as you look at it from the rear of the engine bay and the other is a light blue (possibly grey ) on the right.

If you have any spares , i am interested

Craig

Edited by Craigb

Tom Fenton

The other thing you could do is have the hole in the distributor type thermostat housing fitted with a bung and welded up, and then use this housing which will have all the right sensors for a 205 in it. The housing does have the pick up points in the right place for the 306/405 XU coilpack to bolt straight on! I was suprised by this too! This is what I am doing on a project of mine, the plug needs to be 42.2mm OD x 13mm deep.

pug_ham

Just had a look at another coilpack thermostat housing. The sensors are dark blue (CTS) & light green which I assume is the water temp sender & warning lamp switch.

I'll test these sensors & see if they are any good with the method posted by Mikey above.

Graham.

pug_ham

Just tested them (& found another housing with three sensors in, blue, brown & green) & the dark blue one tests as it should for the guage sender on one but the blue sensor on the aircon housing has only a single pin.

Green has about 4.5k resistance across the pins.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this