• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mickie

Rear Quarter

mickie

hi, just a quick question, can a starndard 205 rear quater be fitted to a gti ? if i couldnt use it could i cut it up just to replace the lower part of the arch ? see below.. reason is my local panels shop cant get gti ones, couldnt find anything searching, if someone else can point me in the right place. :lol:

DSCF8050.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

Edited by mickie

djinuk

myself i wouldnt grind out the bad metal, then weld int a new plate rouhgly to shape and get the shape using body filler

Tom Fenton

As djuk says.

mickie

sounds like a bodge job you're talking off, that quater isnt so much rusty, its got 10 ton of filler in it, and its going to be a lot easier to buy a new quater and fit it in, i just need to know if i can use a standard 205 one.

jord294

std rear 1/4 panels have a different radius than gti rear 1/4.

have you tried main dealer or beeversautopanels?

mickie

i havent tried the dealer yet, i cant see them being cheap

just to clear up i cant use this standard part on my 205 ?

65-25-501.gif

no beevers dont do gti ones

Edited by mickie

Tom Fenton
sounds like a bodge job you're talking off, that quater isnt so much rusty, its got 10 ton of filler in it, and its going to be a lot easier to buy a new quater and fit it in, i just need to know if i can use a standard 205 one.

Call it what you will, but having myself changed a rear quarter before, I know how much work it is to do, and there is no way I'd be doing all that for a patch of rust 2" square that could be cut out and a repair piece butt welded in.

Your car and your choice however.

toddydal

from the looks of the rear 1/4 its been bodged before you got it,it shoudnt have all that filler in,can you not panel beat it back into shape and get the shape somewer near,then cut the rust out replace with clean new metal and then just use a small amount of filler to get the shape right,i know what your saying ther does look like a hell of alot of body filler in ther,but if you have the right tools you can panel beat the dent out abit better than it is at the moment,even if you get a new 1/4 panel youl still need to use filler wether you put the full 1/4 in or just the bottom section,if it was me id just repair the one thats on now and at least then your not disturbing all the original seam sealer aswell

Edited by toddydal

mickie
Call it what you will, but having myself changed a rear quarter before, I know how much work it is to do, and there is no way I'd be doing all that for a patch of rust 2" square that could be cut out and a repair piece butt welded in.

Your car and your choice however.

like i've said its not so much the rust, its the filler i dont like, i know how much work it takes and it doesnt take as much as fixing every pannel on a old mk1 XR2 like i've done before.. i dont mind the work if im going to have a clean 205 after im finished :)

mickie
from the looks of the rear 1/4 its been bodged before you got it,it shoudnt have all that filler in,can you not panel beat it back into shape and get the shape somewer near,then cut the rust out replace with clean new metal and then just use a small amount of filler to get the shape right,i know what your saying ther does look like a hell of alot of body filler in ther,but if you have the right tools you can panel beat the dent out abit better than it is at the moment,even if you get a new 1/4 panel youl still need to use filler wether you put the full 1/4 in or just the bottom section,if it was me id just repair the one thats on now and at least then your not disturbing all the original seam sealer aswell

so i could either patch the rust hole up and filler it then beat the panel out

or what i think would be better is to fit a new panel, filler the welds a bit even tho i shouldnt have to ? if its welded in right and also i wouldnt have the trouble of beating the panel out..

im still not convinced..

a new rear quater from the dealer is 150 quid, i new they wouldnt be cheap there..

so i guess i'll just goto the scrappy or something and measure the bottom end of the quater, if it is the same as a 205gti one i'll get the new standard copy

Edited by mickie

welshpug

a fiver's worth of Mild steel sheet will be more than sufficient top fix the panel there, no point doing any more.

once you start digging out the seam sealer by the sill you'll realise how much of a job it is do do the whole panel.

toddydal

if the original 1/4 is really badly damaged from a previous accident and not been pulled out properly and you cant knock the dent out anymore than i would replace the panel,but only you know how badly damaged it is,i know what your saying its not the rust here its the damage to the panel

mickie

i've had a real look at it tonight, got all the filler out and pulled out the dent as much as i could but its still got low and high spots which i dont think i'll be able to fix with some panel hammers just because you cant get in.. i'd rather not use lots of filler.

also theres quite a bit of rust to fix, more than i thought.

IMG_2188.jpg

IMG_2190.jpg

IMG_2193.jpg

IMG_2194.jpg

IMG_2195.jpg

IMG_2196.jpg

maybe someone with more skill than me could get it all stright, but im thinking for me with a little welding experiance it would be better to replace that bottom half of the 1/4 ?

toddydal

if the rest of the 1/4s ok thats what i would do is just replace the bit whats damaged,but if the rest of the 1/4 is full of filler i would replace the hole 1/4,they arent that had to replace as long as you know what your doing

mickie

the rest of its really good, i might buy some panel beating tools and see how it goes, i've never used any before but i should be able to get it pretty good using the rooler as a guide. i cant get the hammer on the underside but i should be able to fit in a toe dolley so i'll see how it goes, i'd love to find a guide on youtube or something, cant find anything tho.

someone in the past has drilled a hole to pull it out but never really done a good job of it, i've pulled it out a lot more now just with a bit of wood and a hammer but its just too up and down for my liking..

so i think i'll try that and find a nice bit 1/4 in a scrappy to replace my rasty bit

Emmy Seize

From an ex-coachbuilder's point of view I would advise to just cut the whole thing out up to the area where the wheelarch trim is.

Get a repair-section like the one you highlighted above and trim it to fit to the swage line behind the plastic trim.

This reduces the amount of filler and time needed to a minimum and any imperfections will be hidden by the trim.

A repair-panel for standard bodyshells should do.

Edited by Emmy Seize

mickie

DSC00594.jpg

DSC00596.jpg

DSC00597.jpg

DSC00598.jpg

only other thing i'll lose is the rivets

chrisj21

If your confident enough to weld in the new panel then go for it!!! :D

the rivets you can get from pug or just pop a wanted post up.im sure someone will have a few spares!

Chris

mickie

yeah i think im happy enough with my welding ability, most of the weld will be covered so it should pull through ok.

ahh didnt look into the rivets, cheers for the heads up

mickie

IMG_0400.jpg

ta-daa!!

Edited by mickie

Tommer

Make sure you heavily paint / protect your welds as it will be a nice entry point for any rust now!

Emmy Seize
ta-daa!!

Indeed! Very nice.

The only thing I would have suggested is cutting across the b-pillar in a straght (horizontal) line.

This saves alot of welding/grinding/filling.

But anyhow: I know quite a few craftsmen pretending to be professionals who would struggle to achieve results like yours.

mickie
Indeed! Very nice.

The only thing I would have suggested is cutting across the b-pillar in a straght (horizontal) line.

This saves alot of welding/grinding/filling.

But anyhow: I know quite a few craftsmen pretending to be professionals who would struggle to achieve results like yours.

cheers i appreciate that :)

i did think about cutting across the b-pillar im sure but my mind set must have changed lugging the generator and angle grinder across the scrap yard :)

dale205mills

Nice work, do you fancy changing my roof skin please :)

paulcoxon

Does anyone know if you can get the above panel from anywere new in the gti profile

Sign in to follow this