• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205wrc

[wheels_refurb] Refurbishing Some Rare Peugeot Alloys

205wrc

A few weeks ago, I came across some quite rare alloy wheels for a Group A 205 for sale.

These had been used for a few years on forestry rallies in the uk, and were in need of some restoration.

The great thing about these wheels are, that they are 6" x 14" but fit over a 4 pot brake caliper without the need for spacers etc.

The difference between these and a normal wheel is that the nut seat is tapered, where as a normal wheel has a flat seat.

4 Group A Revolution RFX Alloys. At some point in their life they had been painted some shade of Graphite Grey, then blue, and now yellow......this time with a brush!!!!

20080322image0211rx1.th.jpg

One home made sandblasting cabinet. Made this a few years ago from a couple of sheets of 3/4" plywood, some 40mm mild steel box an 40mm mild steel angle. Total cost of materials including castors, light fitting, laminated glass, mesh and sand was less than £110 :D

20080322image0213gy9.th.jpg

The largest wheels thats been in here is an 8" x 16" Landrover wheel.........bloody nightmare!!!

20080322image0214bc4.th.jpg

20080322image0216lg3.th.jpg

Twenty minutes later and about half of the paint has gone

20080322image0218xe9.th.jpg

It took almost an hour to get the wheel to look like this. The paint was so thick in some places, the grit was just bouncing off :lol:

20080322image0221jh9.th.jpg

Next up, some U-POL Acid 8 etch primer.

20080322image0224fq3.th.jpg

Three coats of primer, and the wheel is ready for paint :)

20080322image0226zp1.th.jpg

All the wheels that I've repainted for the rally car, I've always used Halfords Appliance Gloss White paint. I think its the closest match to the colour that Revolution uses to paint their wheels.

20080322image0228mm3.th.jpg

4 coats of paint and 4 coats of clear laquer later, and the wheel looks a lot better

20080322image0230nk9.th.jpg

One down...........another three to go :)

Can't wait to fit the tyres now and put them on the car :blush:

smighall

Good work :)

Any more details on your sandblasting cabinet, it looks really good!

Arahan

These were on eBay wernt they? I was watching them!

Edited by Arahan

Coonper
These were on eBay wernt they? I was watching them!

Me too! They went for about £52 iirc

Baz

Bit more than that, i was bidding on them!

Nice work, cabinet looks like it comes in very handy! :lol:

huckleberry

Me and a mate once bought 3 sets of these from an old 309gti16 rally team. They were 15". But no-one was interested in a set. After a long time we sold all 3 sets seperately and a few months later I got called on my mobile by someone I never heard of who needed a set for his 306 rally car.

Nice way of refurbing them!

Tim

205wrc
Bit more than that, i was bidding on them!

Nice work, cabinet looks like it comes in very handy! :lol:

I actually paid £82 for them, and the carriage was something like £20............but the chap who owned them was working quite local to me, so I picked them up from him and saved on the postage.

There was a set of 4 for sale in the back of Motorsport News a couple of weeks ago for £200, so if anybody sees some more advertised for silly money (cheap!!!) grab them cause they're worth on average £50 each in good condition...........but I've only ever seen three sets advertised - two of them I now own :o

TurboSam

I've got a set of those in the shed, they look quite cool :)

But are they really that rare? They still make them in Mini sizes (12/13""), so might still be produced for other cars?

Peetypug
Good work :)

Any more details on your sandblasting cabinet, it looks really good!

i second this

what are the dimensions of it?

i think i might have a go at making one now i have a bigger compressor