• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mainline

1.6 Beam Replacement

mainline

Hey there, I am about to embark upon replacing the beam on my 1.6 GTi - I have seen the guide, which refers to a 1.9 beam with a disc brake setup etc but I am a bit apprehensive as to how the process will differ on my car regarding handbrake, drum brakes and any other issues.

Is there a guide to the differences between replacing the beam on a 1.6 vs the 1.9? Any help much appreciated - especially photos or words of wisdom (all unchartered territory for me!) - Tried a search but didn't seem to throw up anything specific.

Thanks

Ian

Tom Fenton

The only difference is the brakes. The rest is the same. If its a straight swap you should have no problems.

timmsy19

ive done this upgrade on my brothers old 1.6. very easy straight forward swap.

would advise 2 people to do this as its quite heavy and awkward to bolt back up. the rear brake lines are easy enough to do just make sure the bleed nipples on the new calipers are freely moving otherwise your going to have trouble

1 FAT PUG

easy done, knock the stub axles out and then just swap all the brakes over, get new brake pipes made up handbrake cables n thats it really :)

M@tt

are you swapping it with another known 1.6 beam because there apparently are slight differences between the front tube mounts for a 1.6 and 1.9 beam.

It was mentioned that they have a slightly different offset (although i've not seen anything 100% confirming this) and therefore might have been the cause of some peoples wheels catching the front of rear quarter panel aftera beam swap

service box does lists different part numbers for them

5142 27 - EXCEPT XU9JA

5142 20 - LEFT - XU9JA

5142 21 - RIGHT - XU9JA

so the best thing is to use the mount that came off your existing beam if your in any doubt, its only a 5 mins jub to undo the 2 bolts.

2c51c02a.jpg

mainline

Thanks for all your help. Sure i'll be back on with some more questions when I get stuck.

Cheers

Ian

Sign in to follow this