• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ifcho

Another Megasquirt Configuration Topic

ifcho

Hi,

So I decided to convert the engine in my cabriolet from a 1.6 monopoint G6 injection to a full injection, megasqruit system.

The wiring to all the sensors is correct (except for the CPS sensor, for which I'm not sure) and I actually managed to start the engine....However it sounded like it is missing beats and it was backfiring both from the inlet and the exhaust....

It is a wasted spark setup, with injectors from a 1.9 130bhp engine.

I'm using Ms2/extra. If anyone can find any general mistakes in my settings I will be most gratefull...I'm not very sure that even the basic engine settings are correct:

post-8158-1206359321_thumb.jpg

post-8158-1206359454.jpg

post-8158-1206359679_thumb.jpg

post-8158-1206359496.jpg

post-8158-1206359239.jpg

also, what should this be reading, while ont he car it was set to 10.0 but now while I was making the screens it was 0?!

post-8158-1206359748.jpg

while cranking I get 10 degrees ignition advance (per the megatune reading)

Edited by ifcho

Richie-Van-GTi

can you post up your trigger settings, also download megalog viewer programs and check what your CPS signal looks like. It does sound like your signal is hazy and its sparking randomly, that or the trigger angles are all wrong. Been a while since I done anything with MS but if memory serves correct you need the wires backwards to normal from the CPS, shield wire grounded only at the MS end and on the same ground as the MS unit and also ensure the jumper is set to inverted on the MS board.

ifcho

are you referring to the trigger wheel settings ( i have posted above ) or to some other settings window?

I don't remember how I have set the jumper on the board, but I have wired the CPS sensor as it was wired on the original marelli ECU, signal wire to the ecu, and shield and ground to the ECU ground.

If this is not the correct way to be wired, should I just swap the signal and ground wires?

forgot to add that I managed to get it started only if I set the cranking rpms very high - 700-1000rpm, so I trhinkg I may have something general messed up in my settings.

another edit, in the megalogviewer program, should I be looking at the RPM graph?

Edited by ifcho

DrSarty

Although I haven't started mine yet (on MS2v3) I've done a lot of reading about the CPS/CAS/VR sensor, and like Richie says, the positive and negative pulse from the sensor can just be swapped and likewise the MS needs to know what to expect. You could have them 180deg out, so just change one.

Richie-Van-GTi

There is a program which will log the teeth , cant remember the name but its well documented on the megasquirt forums. This will show a kind of bar graph of the signal the teeth are producing. You should be seeing nice even spikes with 2 large spikes approx 3 times the size of the rest (missing teeth). If you get uneven logs then something isamiss with CPS and until you get that right you stand little chance of doing anything else.

ifcho

amazingly today the car started :)

I went to make a log of how it doesn't start and boom, I also drove her 5-10 meters :-D

The problem is, in the megalogviewer program, in the RPM graph I see sudden drops, where the RPM signal goes to 0 and then back up:

(the graph at the bottom is RPM)

post-8158-1206478615_thumb.jpg

Edited by ifcho

ifcho

Another VR sensor fixed that...now I should start improving the maps

ifcho

well I thought it fixed it...stupid VR sensors....

Since the swap of the VR sensor I have had starting problems in the morning...starting the car was very difficult, although after that everything was fine.

I swapped some VR sensors, played with the configuration pots..but wasn't able to fix this issue (actually I made new issues :-D) now the car missfires (looses its RPM signal) at around 1200rpm....with other VR sensors it cannot rev past 3000 rpm;s.

So I'm sick of the stupid VR technology.

Anybody know of a Hall effect sensor, that fits nicely in the existing hole in the gearbox?

Are there pugs that use a Hall sensor, instead of the dam* VR ?

smighall

I have mine setup using the GTI6 crank sensor as a HALL sensor. It would not work at all with it set as a VR, and doesn't drop the signal at all, i still haven't got around to mapping it yet, but from the bits i have done it seems to work fine.

cybernck

works fine for me!

are you using shielded signal wire?

ifcho

yes, the cable is shielded.

I just installed the new ms2 extra code (2.0.1) with a hope that it may fix it (unlikely).

I also found that a BMW hall sensor from m52 engines, should fit fine in our cars and most likely I'll go that route...

as a friend of mine said..the motronic ECU has more elements in the VR calibration circuit than the whole MS and it works with a single type of VR sensors only...how do you expect a scheme with 5 elements to work with every VR out there

Sign in to follow this