• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wardy18

Oil Pressure

wardy18

Ok so on starting the race 205 up im finding im gettin MASSIVE oil pressure, i wouldnt normally complain but this is quite concerning to me, its an aftermarket guage which goes up to 100 lb/sq" or say 7bar but when i fire her up its goin past that and as far as the needle will go

i have fitted one of the uprated oil pump springs and also have a oil catch tank instead of the usual oil filler blank unit, the pipework is connected as follows

large bottom pipe from catch tank to sump for oil fill up

what i assume is a sump breather which is next to the oil fill up on the block goes to one of the inlets on the catch tank

then the rocket cover pipe to the other inlet on the catch tank

does this sound ok?!

what could be the problem?!?!

i know the standard pump spring produces 4bar at 4000rpm and so id expect an increase with the uprated spring but not over double the pressure, surely?!

there is a warnin light fitted for when the pressure gets too low and this comes on as soon as the quage gets higher and higher!!

help please, my first hillclimb is tomorrow

thanx

simon

pee vee

the breather pipe work wont make any difference to the oil pressure mate..

and i get the same oil pressure with my mi16.. its due to the spring in the pump.. they are designed to open at approx 80psi

but when the oil is thicker i dont think they cope too well.

i put an oil cooler with open sandwich plate on mine and it sorted it a bit. takes it down to 95-100 psi when cold idle.

but settles to 85psi at 4000 rpm at 90 degrees.. so its doing exactly what they say it should. .. sounds like yours is too.

wouldnt cain it from cold though, i split a crank oil seal ( I THINK) due to the pressure lol

EDIT> what sort of gauge is it?? mine is a pretty good quality one, so im sure its telling the truth lol.

Edited by pee vee

wardy18

ok so takin Colin's advice on the phone (thanx again) ive run til it was warm and sure enough the pressure came down to about 75-80lb/sq" so atleast the guage is tellin the truth like you said pee vee

im not running a oil cooler at all at the moment, its purely for hillclimbing so didnt see the need, however i do have the sandwich plate and i might invest in a mocal cooler one day

panic over

lets hope tomorrow goes smoothly but im not very optomistic with the luck ive had so far!! lol

Sign in to follow this