• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jakob

Xu10 Block/engine - Which One?

Jakob

Black MI16 has helped (thanks) with some question regarding build up of the XU10 blocks/components, but questions keep popping up....

Engine codes as I could identify them (please correct):

MI16: XU10J4

S16: XU104JR

306GTI: XU10J4RS

T16: XU10J4TE

T8: XU10J2TE

1) If the plan is to start out with a XU10 iron block with 8v head AND perhaps later on change the head to a 16v - are any of the above mentioned then preferable from others (something to be aware of)?

2) Inner components: Alu sump, oil cooling under pistons, oil pump, water pump etc. is any XU engine/block better than others?

All of them are supposed to have oil cooling under the pistons and fairly simular crank, rods and pistons (there are different, but somewhat equal in strengts), hence maybe the need for custom/stronger parts.

3) Which of MI16, S16 og 306GTI 16v heads - have the biggest inlet valves and do they all fit all XU10 blocks (or only S16 head on S16 block XU10J4R etc)?

welshpug

S16 is the J4 (as in the ion 2.0 Mi16, RFY) not J4R

J4R is the 135bhp 306/406 engine.

jackherer
1.9 Mi16: XU9J4

2.0 MI16/S16: XU10J4

136bhp 2.0 16v: XU104JR

306GTI: XU10J4RS

T16: XU10J4TE

T8: XU10J2TE

Jakob

Thanks!

Any comments on which block to choose - are they all simular and fit all heads?

Richie-Van-GTi

unless your going forced induction straight off then rule out the t16 unit, it will cost mega bucks for the engine which is wasted if its not kept as a turbo unit. If your starting with an 8v then just get the xu10j2 engine as that is a working 2.0 8v. Stick a gti cam straight in and even use the gti plenum etc if you want. You then have a bottom end that can take most of the 16v heads straight onto it at a later date however until you know exactly which head it is hard to say what you will need in future as valve cut outs on pistons and compression ratios differ according to head/cam choices.

Jakob

It is for forced induction.

I have a ported 3 angle 8v head I'll use for now. But later on consider changing to 16v. Cut outs in pistons is therefor not an issue for now, however I want to make sure I can pick what ever is the best flowing 16v head and bolt on the XU10 block.

I have a XU10J2 non turbo engine on hand - how is this block different from the XU10J4 and the XU10J4RS?

Jakob

Anyone?

How is the XU10J2 (non turbo) different - does it have the oilcooling under the pistons as well??

B1ack_Mi16
Anyone?

How is the XU10J2 (non turbo) different - does it have the oilcooling under the pistons as well??

No ,you need either: XU10J4, XU10J4RS, XU10J2TE to have oilcooled pistons.

Also some early XU10J4R's does have the oil cooling, but they're hard to find and you really don't know until you've taken off the sump and investigated it.

You could get a XU11D block get it rebored to a fresh 86mm (it's 85mm std.) as that one has oil cooling.

However I'm not entirely sure about how the waterpump setup on the 2.1 TD block matches with the head from the petrol engine, it will probably be ok, but I've not tried it myself yet.

Jakob
No ,you need either: XU10J4, XU10J4RS, XU10J2TE to have oilcooled pistons.

Also some early XU10J4R's does have the oil cooling, but they're hard to find and you really don't know until you've taken off the sump and investigated it.

You could get a XU11D block get it rebored to a fresh 86mm (it's 85mm std.) as that one has oil cooling.

However I'm not entirely sure about how the waterpump setup on the 2.1 TD block matches with the head from the petrol engine, it will probably be ok, but I've not tried it myself yet.

Ok, then I have to find another block than the XU10J2...glad we cleared that up!

The Diesel XU11D is a good suggestion - does it have thicker walls to begin with and thereby being the same block as the XU11D?

I can see in the other thread that you refer to another guy that have bolted a XU10J4RS head on the XU11D block - then the waterpump setup on the diesel block should somehow match with the petrol head - dont you think, or is the match on a 16v and 8v different?

Have anyone ever used the diesel rods for turbo setups (refered to as being more solid/heavier and take more abuse) and in that case does anyone know the lenght?

I am beeing offered a 2.1 diesel crank, standard rods (what ever that is), and forced opel GSI pistons 86mm - does anyone have any experience with these pistons?

B1ack_Mi16
Ok, then I have to find another block than the XU10J2...glad we cleared that up!

The Diesel XU11D is a good suggestion - does it have thicker walls to begin with and thereby being the same block as the XU11D?

I can see in the other thread that you refer to another guy that have bolted a XU10J4RS head on the XU11D block - then the waterpump setup on the diesel block should somehow match with the petrol head - dont you think, or is the match on a 16v and 8v different?

Have anyone ever used the diesel rods for turbo setups (refered to as being more solid/heavier and take more abuse) and in that case does anyone know the lenght?

I am beeing offered a 2.1 diesel crank, standard rods (what ever that is), and forced opel GSI pistons 86mm - does anyone have any experience with these pistons?

Here you can see piston and rod.

Left XU10J4TE / T16, right XU11D 2.1 TD.

post-3331-1206271413_thumb.jpg

And yes of course as they guy I know put a 16v petrol head on a std. XU11D bottom end the cambelt and waterpump issue should be fine.

The 2.1 TD rods are so solid I think they can handle lots and lots of boost :)

The pistons are rather heavy though, also the piston pin is 30mm diameter!

Sign in to follow this