• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fiji bob

Mi Cam Timing

fiji bob

hello, ive got a pair of catcam pulleys for an mi16 that i may as well keep as we are planning on using a 405mi for track days, i was wondering if a 2 exhaust and 4 intake would give the best timing overall or would a standard engine benefit from slightly tweaked cam timing? also whats the standard rev limit on the 3 row? i thought it would be around 7200 or so? this one cuts at an indicated 6700-6900

Edited by fiji bob

taylorspug

Rev limit should be 7200, slightly more if its a 4x4 ECU. My rev counter used to be a bit slow too and would sometimes indicate 69ish on the limiter.

As for the timing search it, its been covere extensively. The long and short of it is run 4 inlet 2 exhaust if you want more mid range grunt with slightly less at the top end, and 2 inlet 4 exhaust will make the engine a bit gutless lower down, but it will sing from about 4.5k onwards all the way to the limiter.

I ran 2 inlet on my mi with cams and loved it, really suited the nature of the cams and it shunted. :lol:

Edited by taylorspug

fiji bob

was that in a 205 though? ive driven the 405 and thought it was on the verge of being too cammy but having said that the cap and rotor isnt in the best condition and the exhaust is leaking from somewhere so its probably not giving its best. Yeah peter recommended the 2 and 4 combination just wondered is that was because it was a cheap way of altering the timing or if anyone had really messed around with verniers.

taylorspug

That was in my 205 yes. The problems you describe with the 405 wouldnt be helping matters tbh. Try it and see what you think, using a 2 inlet may well be a problem on something like a 405 with the extra weight, but in a 205 id say its not an issue. Mine went ALOT better like that than with a no4 inlet, where it was quick in the mid range but just didnt want to rev out enough for my liking. On a std engine i really wouldnt bother with verniers, you wont see much benefit and the numbered pulleys are a cheap solution.

fiji bob

ive already got a pair of verniers that were intended for a rebuilt mi and the cambelt needs changing on the 405 so i thought they may aswell go on, i havent checked to see which pulleys are fitted to the 405 but im guessing they will be the 2 and 4

Sign in to follow this