• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GTI6BOY

Gti-6 Oil Pressure Gauge?

GTI6BOY

On my 205 gti-6 the oil pressure gauge works like a normal 205 where it starts at max a slowly go's down and when you rev go's back up.

My mates 205 gti-6 when you turn the ignition the gauge shoots up, then when you start the engine it shoots down and stays down

any ideas how to get his to work like mine?

returnofjim
On my 205 gti-6 the oil pressure gauge works like a normal 205 where it starts at max a slowly go's down and when you rev go's back up.

My mates 205 gti-6 when you turn the ignition the gauge shoots up, then when you start the engine it shoots down and stays down

any ideas how to get his to work like mine?

Sound like he has the pressure gauge sender and pressure warning light wired the worng way round :blush:

GTI6BOY

I have heard it could be something to do with an different type of oil pressure sender (early and late types?)

Miles

Most GTi6 engine's do not have oil pressure senders fitted so it sounds like someones wired it to the wrong sender (IE, low oil pressure), You need one from any S16, XSI or early 6, All the senders are the same just different plugs

GTI6BOY

just been on service box and they list 2 types...a oil pressurs switch as an early type and a late type.

i have also spoke to a friend who says they did change how the gauge works on a 6. He has an x reg and the gauge does what my mates gauge does

so all i can assume is i have the earlier styly engine?

petert

The full scale deflection is different between XU9 and XU10 senders. You will get a low reading on the gauge if you use an XU10 sender.

Spiky

or do what i did and replace the low pressure warning sender with the 205's oil pressure gauge sender :blush:

you just need an adapter to convert the threds.

job done :(

Super Josh
The full scale deflection is different between XU9 and XU10 senders. You will get a low reading on the gauge if you use an XU10 sender.

That's interesting Peter, sounds like you need to use an adapter to mount the XU9 one then.

or do what i did and replace the low pressure warning sender with the 205's oil pressure gauge sender :blush:

you just need an adapter to convert the threds.

job done :(

Did you actually replace one sensor with the other? So that you have lost the low presssure switch? Or did you use one of those adapters that allows you to screw 2 sensors into the block (which would be my preference)?

Do you have a link and part number? :D

Josh

Spiky

i replaced it, if i saw that red light come on, the engine would probably be dead any how..lol so would rather the gauge so i could see if i was loosing pressure on cornering :(

ideally id like both, low warning and gauge, infact i'm going to fit some proper gauges, then i'll have both with warnings too, so it gives me a bit of chance to save the engine...lol

as for where i bought it, i was quite dear :D, but was the only one i could find.

i cant remember the thread either :(

if i find the link i will post it up :blush:

TurboSam

I've got a phase 1 engine so has a proper oil pressure guage. I didn't think I had an oil pressure switch , but noticed something up near the starter... ? Is it an oil pressure switch ? :blush:

Alastairh
Most GTi6 engine's do not have oil pressure senders fitted so it sounds like someones wired it to the wrong sender (IE, low oil pressure), You need one from any S16, XSI or early 6, All the senders are the same just different plugs

As Miles said, you need the above sensors. Oil pressure gauge, and oil pressure light on the front of the block to make it a bolt original looking proper job...

Miles

Sam

Yes the single normally grey sensor is the low oil pressure, Looks like pretty much just a connector and nothing else.

TurboSam

Excellent thanks miles :blush:

Edp

I was looking into this the other day and i think I'm going to go the 205 gauge route with the t-piece connector. I found this thread quite useful josh :D

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...210&hl=g

But found the part cheaper and a more user friendly site at

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/INSTRUME..._258/index.html://http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/inde..._258/index.html

Hope that helps..

Edited by Edp

Miles

I can get them no problems at all, Just need to know the thread size and pitch, but as the 205 guages vary so much it's only a guage that if you have pressure or not.

Sign in to follow this