• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
applemobile

Turbo!

applemobile

i have th eide in my head to build a modestly priced 1.9 turbo engine ro put in my 1.6. i searched the site btw but cant find what i want to know. first of all, is it true the 2.0 8v turbo manifold will fit on the 1.9 head? i heard it will but with a little bit of re-angling. second question, has anyone done or seen of a twin webber/ bike carbs and turbo? i can immagine it would be a bit of a bitch to get running, but could be rather interesting.

danpug

Yes the manifold bolts straight on. There are people who run carbs/turbo but i couldn't tell you anything about it, other than it'll drink stupid amounts of fuel!

applemobile

cheers for that about the manifold. thats great news. im waiting for someone to tell me to just get the 2.0 8v. but i think its much nicer to have a powerfull engine that origionated from the car, rather than cheating and wacking in a bigger one. all tho im not against that at all!

danpug

I was going to use the 2.0 turbo and manifold for my conversion but changed my mind in the end and went for a 205parts tt manifold. It would be handy for a budget conversion though, check out henry yorkes cti, he got good results. How are you lowering the compression?

shouldnt need to lower the comp unless you run massive boooooossssttt

light pressure turbo should run ok

btw renault 5 gt turbo runs carb and turbo

danpug

That is true, obviously it depends on his plans.

applemobile

well if i can get hold of a manifold i will use one, if not im sure i can build my own, not sure how long it will last tho! i have a contact that may beable to get the pistons machined down. but i feel weary of this. as surely you are making the pistons weaker, yet running more power. if its gonna cost to much i will just stick 2 head gaskets in for the time being. i dont want to run mega boost, but enough to get reasonable power. i know the r5 runs carbs and turbo, but it does not run twin carbs! the tecnologie is the same, i guess twin is going to be hard to set up and keep running correctly.

Tom Fenton

Why on earth would you want to go to the hassle and grief of trying to blow through a pair of webers or similar! I'm quite sure that it will be a cheaper and far better solution to go for injection and a mappable ECU.

This is what I'm doing with my XU5T project anyhow.

danpug

Machined pistons are fine to use, Vern on here is/was running 240bhp ish on them. Two headgaskets is probably asking for more trouble tbh! I have a set of machined pistons/rods but they are from a 1.6, not sure if they are different from the 1.9 rods?

applemobile
Why on earth would you want to go to the hassle and grief of trying to blow through a pair of webers or similar! I'm quite sure that it will be a cheaper and far better solution to go for injection and a mappable ECU.

This is what I'm doing with my XU5T project anyhow.

because i have a terriable addiction to unreliability, why else would i drive a 205?

your probably right about the 2 headgaskets, i could get a spacer plate made, but teh cost would just be more worthwhile machiening down the pistons.

welshpug

you could use 406 turbo engine management on it.

applemobile
you could use 406 turbo engine management on it.

o rly? please tell me more. is it a kinda plug and play operation. could i map it my self on my laptop?

i would like to point out at this point that i am not a muppet, i do have mechanicle knowlege, its only that i work with big diesels, so do not get involved in all this dinky toy electricery.

welshpug

I think its what henry runs his low compression turbo skip on.

danpug

Yep thats right.

TEKNOPUG

You can get away with standard compression (it’s actually preferable for both performance and driveability) providing you use proper aftermarket management for fuel and sparks and have it mapped by someone who knows what they are doing. Should be able to run 10-14psi.

So really, you need to think about this backwards – what management system am I going to use? Once you decide that then the mechanical side will easier as some paths will be closed to you and others will become a necessity, depending upon your initial ECU management decision.

Sign in to follow this