• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stu

306 Trailing Arms.. Onto 309 Beam..

Stu

Howdy peeps,

Im rebuilding my 309 beam next weekend, and so far have not had any luck with getting hold of ZX trailing arms. But, ive got a mint 306 D turbo beam thats now surplus to requirements so ive had thoughts of using the trailing arms and shafts, and swapping my stub axles over to kep the 1900 rear disk assembly.

What sort of geometry does the 306 use? Are they all the same? I seem to remember the GTI-6 beam having a bit of negative camber, but a fair bit of toe in, how will a 309 beam, t/b's and stock arb with 306 trailing arms effect the handling? Im running black billies on the front with -40mm springs, 309 bottom arms and shafts.

Baz

It has slightly more negative at 1'20m, and lots of toe in (4.2mm). It'll be more planted basically.

Edited by BazGTMi

tom_m

the complete opposite to zx arms then, that run 0 deg toe in and will feel more unsettled at the rear

Stu

so a good mod then? Or is it best to stick with the stock 309 arms?

Baz

Good for the negative yes. Not really much in the 309 and 306 arms for the toe-in.

Stu
Good for the negative yes. Not really much in the 309 and 306 arms for the toe-in.

Sweet, that'll be next weeks task then..

yorkshirekowboy
Sweet, that'll be next weeks task then..

what about using 1.6 beam tube with 306 arms? im needing a beam tube off a 309, but struggling getting one. thought of using a 309 diesel tube but im sure its smaller/torsion bars and arb.

thanks

danny

Grim.Badger
what about using 1.6 beam tube with 306 arms? im needing a beam tube off a 309, but struggling getting one. thought of using a 309 diesel tube but im sure its smaller/torsion bars and arb.

I think the TD has the same setup as the GTi, but I'm not certain. Any 205/309/306/ZX arms will fit any beam tube afaik.

So which would be considered "best" for track or road? There is a 16v ZX in my local scrappy that I've been pondering stripping the beam down to sell as well as a Xsara VTR and a couple of 306 TDs.

Baz

The ZX arms are considered to be better for track, as they have the camber but no toe in, whereas the ones with some toe in, 306, Xsara, even std 205/309 ones would be better for road.

Eg. My blue predominantly road 205 will have a 309 tube, and 306 drum brake arms, will make a nice stable road car. (I like drums :huh: )

But my White one is having ZX disc arms.

yorkshirekowboy
The ZX arms are considered to be better for track, as they have the camber but no toe in, whereas the ones with some toe in, 306, Xsara, even std 205/309 ones would be better for road.

Eg. My blue predominantly road 205 will have a 309 tube, and 306 drum brake arms, will make a nice stable road car. (I like drums :huh: )

But my White one is having ZX disc arms.

are zx diesel advantage arms any good? are they the same as the zx volcane td arms?

thanks

danny

Baz

No idea, i know the disc braked ones are pretty rare tbh, only on 16v's, Volcane's and later ZX's afaik.

yorkshirekowboy
No idea, i know the disc braked ones are pretty rare tbh, only on 16v's, Volcane's and later ZX's afaik.

yeah i found one volcane with discs brakes but the arms were fooked, i mean they were cover in rust and the bolts etc were gone, so it went for scrap.

Sign in to follow this