• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Picto_205Cti

15" Subs In The Boot Of 205 Cti

Picto_205Cti

hiya just thought i would share with you my latest build im crazy about boot installs and was woundering has anyone else got a big install that they could show me

mine consists of:

2 x 15" kicker comp vrs 1000w each

1500w crunch groundpounder amplfier (which i melted whoopps)

1500w pro plus digital amplifier

2 x infinity reference 6x9s in rear shelf

2 x infinity reference 13cm door speakers

Pioneer bluetooth headunit

the new amp isnt as loud as the old one was but does it bounce the only minor problem i have is rattling every panel, i am slowly working on stopping the rattling but everytime i think i have sorted it another rattle appears.

092707_111110.jpg

010908_124205.jpg

Picto

Coonper

Looks like a pretty cool install! Liking the symetrical look! B)

You seriously need to start thinking about sound deadening mate. I bet it rattles to hell! Lol

And also, i bet them 6x9's sound s*it! You wanna bin them and get some decent components up front powered off an amp. ;)

Them 6x9's will be playing against the subs causing them to interfere with th sound. The air that the sub is moving will be pushing the cones of the speakers, creating distortion.

I actually blew a set of 6x9's that were in my parcel shelf, and they werent even wired up! The air forced the cone out and ripped it! Ive learnt from my mistakes!

6x9's are crap even at the best of times!

Get some comps and it will be awesome! B)

projectpug

Looking good B) will also even out your front to rear weight distribution a bit

paul_portsmouth
Looks like a pretty cool install! Liking the symetrical look! B)

You seriously need to start thinking about sound deadening mate. I bet it rattles to hell! Lol

And also, i bet them 6x9's sound s*it! You wanna bin them and get some decent components up front powered off an amp. ;)

Them 6x9's will be playing against the subs causing them to interfere with th sound. The air that the sub is moving will be pushing the cones of the speakers, creating distortion.

I actually blew a set of 6x9's that were in my parcel shelf, and they werent even wired up! The air forced the cone out and ripped it! Ive learnt from my mistakes!

6x9's are crap even at the best of times!

Get some comps and it will be awesome! B)

that man speakes sence

have a look at the JL vr components awesome sounding speakers

Picto_205Cti

i havent noticed the 6x9s distorting yet but if i was to change to components it woundnt be worth it putting them in the parcel shelf again but in the cti there is not many places to put speakers the tiny little door cards are a bit of a squeeze, where else?

picto

paul_portsmouth

the doors are really good on 205's if you loose the grills there really deep which means you can fit something with big magnets in there

how big is that box ??

did you do it to any specific proportions

??

Edited by paul_portsmouth

Picto_205Cti

the box is just made to fit to be honest i really was going for just getting them in there i have got a 15" box up the loft and just went on those dimensions it is ported to, i had a bet with one of my mates he didnt think it would be possible lol

but i would really like to keep a set of speakers in the back and the front, i was tempted to build a box around each 6x9 but that would look bit rubbish unless i did something really fancy with them

picto

paul_portsmouth

do you have passengers?

DrSarty

It does look good in the pics, but I'm afraid I have to agree with what's been said, about front components and your choice of 'rear fill' being suspect.

I've designed and built huge systems, with 6 x 10" subs, 5 amps, all active, 2 extra batteries and custom fabricated door builds. I'm actually a purist and like it sounding awesome and loud, with zero hiss, no rattles and huge bass on tap when needed for drum & bass and jungle. (Desert Storm :P )

Car hi-fi is often about just making you grin. No doubt your system succeeds. But your 6x9's are effectively redundant as they are, as the 15" subs are pounding them from underneath. I wouldn't say you'll ever get distortion, just not much worth listening to. Better to have rear fill, playing zero to little bass; it actually raises the sound image in the front when done right.

You don't go to a live concert and turn your back on the band; so your best speakers should be well mounted and powered up the front. Some coaxials are very good and could work in the standard locations if you beef up the mountings to help them handle enough power to keep up with your monster bass. But components are generally better and the separate tweeters allows you to create a 'sound stage'. It is truly breathtaking the clarity of sound you can create in a car.

Paintguy

It's not to my particular taste, but it looks neat and tidy :D

Most of my pictures are lost on Ben Allens site somewhere :( but here's a work in progress one:

post-5979-1205532228_thumb.jpg

Coonper

I have a pair of JBL components running off an amp with 2 X JBL subs.

This is more than enough for a small car like a 205, and anything other than front speakers throws off the sound stage a hell of a lot, which generally creates a bad sound with multiple source points of sound.

I recommend you bin the 6x9's and get some good components amped up in the front.

Something like these will sound immense compared to your current set up.

Speakers

Get them amped up with this and you will have an awesome SQ system.

Amp

Picto_205Cti

ill see what i can do means finding a new shelf for my cti first, i like the look of those hertz ones not a bad price either i will definatly change my setup now once i get payed lol

i got to ask paint guy what are all the amplifiers running, are they running front and rear components to as well as the sub

thanks for the advice guys

picto

damien

i had a go at a install in my 205 once

dscf1433mediumsd8.jpg

i lost intrest and decided it would be abit OTT for my liking.

still got the box incase i change my mind at some point in time

Paintguy
i got to ask paint guy what are all the amplifiers running, are they running front and rear components to as well as the sub

No rear speakers in my car, as I find the 205 doesn't need them :)

The red amp (top left) runs the 1" tweeters and the 6" midbass units separately. It also has 2 spare channels to run a pair of 3" midrange speakers when I get the time to fit them.

The Phoenix Gold amp (bottom right) runs the sub.

The other two items are an active crossover, to split the musical signal before the amps so that each speaker only gets that part of the frequency spectrum that it can handle best, and an equaliser to help even out the frequency response.

Picto_205Cti
No rear speakers in my car, as I find the 205 doesn't need them :)

The red amp (top left) runs the 1" tweeters and the 6" midbass units separately. It also has 2 spare channels to run a pair of 3" midrange speakers when I get the time to fit them.

The Phoenix Gold amp (bottom right) runs the sub.

The other two items are an active crossover, to split the musical signal before the amps so that each speaker only gets that part of the frequency spectrum that it can handle best, and an equaliser to help even out the frequency response.

i see i do like the sound of yours thats something i have never tried before with the equalizer and crossover units i have always used the standard settings on the amps and headunits, the only downfall i am finding with mine is the weight issue is so noticable the car lags so much now i want to keep them because of the work i put but at the same time i like the speed of the little thing and to go for something like yours little ten inch sub and some really good quality, im in a debate what to do

picto

Picto_205Cti
i had a go at a install in my 205 once

dscf1433mediumsd8.jpg

i lost intrest and decided it would be abit OTT for my liking.

still got the box incase i change my mind at some point in time

thats really smart i do like the look of that is it all home made does it take 15" or 12" subs

picto

Paintguy

I have to agree with you on the weight issue. With all the stuff in my car, it's like driving around with two large blokes sat in the boot all the time!

DrSarty

Yep. My 2 x (Earthquake) EQ15CPDS subs in a 4.5cuft 18mm MDF box, each with a 95oz (3kg) magnet does add a tad. It's like driving that 52 stone bloke to his funeral :lol: ....... :blush:

That's why {a} 2.2litre 16v power and {b} removable sub box for even faster driving, like on rallies ;) . Vibe do a really good fast connector that covers earth, power & remote all in one hit. The sub amp is mounted on the box (a Kenwood monoblock thingy), so I just pop out the RCAs and that Vibe jobbie and we are 45kg lighter! B) The other 2 4channel amps stay, but one's not even connected so will be removed. It's just surplus as I can't believe what I've achieved with 4 channels and a sub amp.

damien
thats really smart i do like the look of that is it all home made does it take 15" or 12" subs

picto

home made, it takes 12" subs but i dont have any. im not really into loud music so i lost intrest in it

gti-hysteria

bootybass.jpg

iceinwhitegti.jpg

Picto_205Cti
Yep. My 2 x (Earthquake) EQ15CPDS subs in a 4.5cuft 18mm MDF box, each with a 95oz (3kg) magnet does add a tad. It's like driving that 52 stone bloke to his funeral :( ....... :blush:

That's why {a} 2.2litre 16v power and {b} removable sub box for even faster driving, like on rallies :D . Vibe do a really good fast connector that covers earth, power & remote all in one hit. The sub amp is mounted on the box (a Kenwood monoblock thingy), so I just pop out the RCAs and that Vibe jobbie and we are 45kg lighter! :( The other 2 4channel amps stay, but one's not even connected so will be removed. It's just surplus as I can't believe what I've achieved with 4 channels and a sub amp.

Thats a really good idea that system must really puch whats the ratle like on your car from them, i might take them out to see what i have been missing speed wise then ill decide from there weather to go smaller or just leave them out

DaveW

Nah its a convertable its not for speed! my 12' sub takes up half the already tiny boot on the CJ, might try to add some more speakers to the rear quater cards as when you have the roof down it blocks the speakers!

DrSarty

There is no rattle or buzz in my car at all! Fluked it. :D

Picto_205Cti

i now thats the problem when the roof goes down although i did find my subs sounded alot better when the roof was down it really seals that boot space up if you find a way of getting them in the rear cards let me know i did look but just forgot about it

picto

DaveW

yeah will have a look only small ones mind you maybe some 10cm's! but just to give it some sound from the rear.

Sign in to follow this