• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MartinM

Jumps Out Of Gear

MartinM

Got quite annoyed with my MA 'box jumping out of 1st and sometimes 2nd gear on the Audi South West Endurance Rally last week :angry:

Gear linkage is quite slack (metal ball jointed gear rods might fix that - would they?) but I assume that it's not the tightness of the gear linkage that prevents jumping out of gear on rough ground/during handbrake turns etc

Thoughts please...

TIA, Martin

DrSarty

Could be gearbox oil level. Happened to me.

Rippthrough

Mine does the same in second, right swine holding the thing in gear while trying to corner on track with no PAS!

Gentrix

One of the gearlinkages has a rubbergromet, which gets stuck solid. If that happens it gives a tension on the linkage if you select a gear.

So it´s just a case of getting that rubbergromet moveable again.

I see if I can find a picture.

andi

Rippthrough

Not on mine, linkage is slicker than oiled teflon, guessing at selector retainers myself.

Gentrix

Just check if this one isn´t rotten to the L-shape piece. Try to get it off and you will be surprised

mai-05-sonycam-042.jpg

Only on MA Gearboxes obviously

Edited by Gentrix

Rippthrough

Could be on Martins, mines rose jointed :angry:

Jrod

Mine doesnt do it with my gearbox steady bar. :angry:

MartinM
Mine doesnt do it with my gearbox steady bar. ;)
What's a gearbox steady bar?
Not on mine, linkage is slicker than oiled teflon, guessing at selector retainers myself.
Presumably they're inside the box? Don't really want to go in there B)

Rippthrough
Presumably they're inside the box? Don't really want to go in there B)

Indeed, I'm playing with a sprung ball bearing setup for the lever at the minute, once I get it to work it should be fine, could fix the box but bugger that, that costs beer money! ;)

Edited by Rippthrough

Guest zeddy
What's a gearbox steady bar?Presumably they're inside the box? Don't really want to go in there :excl:

The gearbox steady bar is an add on, quite easy to fit. You can get them from TI Motorsport. They bolt on to the crossmember from memory. Mine jumped out of second on loose surfaces, but since fitting it well over a year ago, it hasn't jumped out once! About £20 I think.

Isaac

andychalmers

My 1400 XS rally car always jumped out of second gear on sharp corners. This is due to engine & box moving & pulling on the gear linkage. My 100% cure was to fit a 3rd engine mount on the upper engine mount where you have 2 anyway. Just take mount off, drill a hole and job done. Its never jumped out ever again. The steady bars seem to work but not neccary, I've never had 1.

Sign in to follow this