• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
feb

Clutch Cable Snapped

feb

Hi,

Just as the new owner of my car was driving off the clutch cable snapped and him and my friend are now left stranded as I am writing this!

Where about is it in the engine bay? They want to try tightening it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

johny105_y2k

if its snapped u'll need a replacement,

no big job, just a bit tricky around the pedal area.

feb

RAC man said the clutch cable is fine and it is the release bearing and clutch that need to be changed.

The clutch was not slipping before so doubt it needs changing but he said the release bearing itself is now slipping and damaging the clutch. How much will this cost to repair? I have already offered him 100 pounds deduction because of this inconvenience and I have sold the car at such a low price.

Edited by feb

welshpug

if the clutch is still holding then it should still be drivable, just need to avoid traffic lights and master clutch-less changes.

a complete clutch change on a 205 would be around the £150-200 mark fitted

I guess the car is back in the UK now?

Edited by welshpug

feb
if the clutch is still holding then it should still be drivable, just need to avoid traffic lights and master clutch-less changes.

a complete clutch change on a 205 would be around the £150-200 mark fitted

I guess the car is back in the UK now?

Yes in UK, the problem happened as he was driving off, he had already signed the V5 and given the money to my friend.

C_W

Sounds like the clutch arm (on top of the gearbox) has broken? this is a common problem on the BE1 but not sure about the BE3 style arms but if the cable hasn't snapped it must be something like that otherwise it wouldn't suddenly just go IMO.

If it really is the release bearing, it must have slipped off the fork inside the bell housing, if youre lucky and have the gearbox casting that have a large inspection window at the front you may be able to fix it without taking the gearbox off.

feb
Sounds like the clutch arm (on top of the gearbox) has broken? this is a common problem on the BE1 but not sure about the BE3 style arms but if the cable hasn't snapped it must be something like that otherwise it wouldn't suddenly just go IMO.

Not sure TBH, they were driving for at least 30 mins without any problems, then as my friend was letting him off through the gates at work, there was a noise and clutch pedal stayed on the floor.

RAC came and will tow them to a local garage so hopefully he can get sorted.

1 FAT PUG

clutches can just collapse, my brother had to get tow`d back last night as the clutch just gave in :lol: clutch kits are about £70 for a good make ( obvoiusly more expencive for uprated ) then price of gettin it fitted, on 205`s there pretty easy to change them

taylorspug

It could be a couple of things Feb, you need to get someone to get the inspection cover off and take a look. If it is a new clutch you will be looking at just shy of £200 all in, with the labour, clutch and new gearbox oil. :lol:

Edited by taylorspug

gerlewislewis

Well, It was me who bought the car, and I have just driven half way across the uk doing clutchless changes - which is pretty easy after 5mins!

I have looked at the clutch arm, it seems fine, plus the cable is still going into it.

The clutch pedal is now only about 2inches off the carpet, and when you press it it moves the arm only about 2cm max. its like its lost all its movement, i presume it is supposed to move more aggressively than 2cm?

The RAC man thinks the clutch bearing has gone through the diaphram*, as when you put it in neutral, rev it and press the clutch pedal it makes a scraping sound.

I am no expert, I will try to look at it in daylight on the weekend, and failing that book it in.

What a day!

Ger

pug_ham

It sounds like it need stripping down to be sure whats wrong.

I had a similar sounding problem on my TD a year or so back when the release bearing lug snapped because the clutch pressure plate was worn & even though the car hadn't turned a wheel in a couple of days I suddenly had no clutch when I next went to use the car.:lol:

Easy enough to fix but basically a new clutch so plan for £200. :)

Graham.

welshpug

clutch release bearing had collapsed in a big way! ( I think Ger got a pic on his phone) although the pressure plate fingers were fine the clutch didn't have a great deal of life left, and the crank seal was leaking slightly.

Thankfully the bit the bearing sits around wasn't too badly scored and cleaned up with some emery cloth, Silly me managed to damage the spines on the end of a shaft so it took us a while longer to get it back together :excl:

clutch cable still works fine but the plastic clip onto the gearbox has lost a few tabs.

feb

Glad you got it sorted and everyone is happy in the end :blush:

Clutch lived well having survived 65k miles then. Not sure if the release bearing has been changed when the clutch was changed before.

Edited by feb

Sign in to follow this