• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

Snapped Cambelt Question?

johnnyboy666

i wasnt quite sure which section to put this in but as the engine in question is a tu3s so this one will do. my mate has just had the cambelt snap on his xs and as he cant afford to get it fixed, hes selling it, ive said i'll take the whole car off him as i need the gearbox anyway and a few other bits and peices. the question is how much damage does a snapped cambelt do? i'm assuming at least bendage of valves and bottom end shafted etc? is there any chance of the head being re-useable? just wondering as i'll probly scrap the car after i've raped it for parts, but the head is extremely low mileage compared to mine and might be worth keeping as a spare one to fiddle around with?

any help appreciated as usual

thanks

johnny

base-1

Probably just bent valves, if you're unlucky they will have damaged the head and it'll be usable, very unlucky it'll need welding to save. Pistons probably dented a bit, only bad if you're unlucky.

If God hates you then a valve head will have broken off and bounced around the chamber wrecking the whole lot, but likelihood is just swap valves for straight and it'll run again

DaveW

Open er up and find out mate, gotta be a few bent valves id say but such a easy engine to work on and get bits for.

welshpug

Rippthrough has a refurbed head for a TU3S IIRC.

sutol

sometimes this happens :unsure:

post-9302-1205363101.jpg

Rippthrough
Rippthrough has a refurbed head for a TU3S IIRC.

TU3M head, not refurbed (but that's optional) it only needs some new stem seals really, rockers/arms/cam/valves/pulley included.

I think the chamber size is very slightly larger than the 'S', but once it's skimmed to clean the face up there'll be no difference, straight swap otherwise.

Edited by Rippthrough

Sign in to follow this