• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smokey

Tweeters Placement

smokey

Hiya guys

I've had a look at the ICE article and have read a few posts on here with regards to replacing speakers.

I would like to replace the speakers in my pug with some better ones, but i would still like to retain the orginal looks of the car.

I would like to use components so was thinking of where would be best to place the tweeters.

On some modern day cars the tweeters are placed on the dash facing the windscreen, so that the sound then bounces off the windscreen and into the car. Also the tweeters are fixed so they are flush with the dash, so they look stealthy.

I was wondering if anyone has tried that on here?

I've got a phase 2 dash waiting to go into my pug and from memory i think there is enough room to fit a tweeter at either end of the dash and have them fitted into the dash so they are flush.

Here is a picture to try and describe what i'm saying.

doof3-49ssh424b.jpeg

The blue circles represent where the tweeters would go. (Sorry for the poor picture, at work and they have no photo editiing software)

Thanks

Edited by smokey

DrSarty

It's all down to personal taste and what you can do within your constraints. The good thing about tweeters is you can wire it all up, play your music and BluTak them in place to find what you prefer. Somtimes bouncing one or both tweeters off the glass actually improves the sound by helping cope with path length differences, aka NOT sitting centrally between them.

Even the kick wells can be a great place for speakers/tweeters, so worth trying. How much stealth is that?

Mine are where your blue blobs are. Component mid-ranges will fit better under the standard grilles too, but what I did was make a trimmed MDF baffle plate - as there's about 15mm clearance between standard grille and edge of dash - for my Sony 5.25" mids which means they have a much better speaker enclosure than just a bare metal door. The door skin is lined with Dynamat and the mids are cut-off below 80hz. It is frightening what thump and volume they achieve like this. Requires some work though, but very rewarding.

Good luck.

Retro Pug
Even the kick wells can be a great place for speakers/tweeters, so worth trying. How much stealth is that?

Good luck.

Agreed. I used to have tweeters in the kick wells on a Fiat Coupe, realy good sound. Angle them up in towards the cabin.

Simes

Tweeters fitted into the little panel below the heater vents aren't bad either. That panel is easy to replace should you make a mess of the cutting.

smokey
Tweeters fitted into the little panel below the heater vents aren't bad either. That panel is easy to replace should you make a mess of the cutting.

Do you mean here?

(New blue spot on picture below)

doof3-49sv735x9.jpeg

DrSarty

Yes. Or you can even prize out the vent and drop the tweeters in there. Many tweeters are too harsh anyway, or, you could increase treble just a tad to compensate for their location.

Rich

danpug

I mounted mine behind the heater vents, tight fit but they went in, sounded good and were very discreet.

johnnyboy666

i have my tweeters under the vents like the pic above although they arent flushed which means the passenger side one frequently gets broken off by my clumsy mates putting their feet up in my car grr!!! just something to bare in mind :)

DrSarty
my clumsy mates putting their feet up in my car grr!!!

Smack them in the mouth. This will stop that behaviour. A man's tweeters and dash are sacred.

:)

easypug

When i had my audio phase going on i mounted the tweeters behind the heater vents but had to remove the sideways adjustment on them to fit. Worked nicely though and unless you knew they were they you wouldn't notice them at all.

johnnyboy666
Smack them in the mouth. This will stop that behaviour. A man's tweeters and dash are sacred.

:)

that generally works when they're sober but not when its my turn to drive to the pub and back!! lol

CaptainP

I mounted mine to the plastic plates that cover the the window winder mechanism. Not great accoustically if you're a purist but it gets em in there and sound fine to an non muscian like me.

smokey
I mounted mine to the plastic plates that cover the the window winder mechanism. Not great accoustically if you're a purist but it gets em in there and sound fine to an non muscian like me.

Do you mean on the outside of the car? The scatter plate?

DrSarty
Do you mean on the outside of the car? The scatter plate?

Unlikely. Not many cars have window winders on the outside of the doors. :unsure:

smokey
Unlikely. Not many cars have window winders on the outside of the doors. ;)

Lol that serves me right for not reading it right :unsure:

tom_m

i had a pair on the wing mirror trim plate in my old 205, that worked quite well as a location, but the were surface mounted not flush mounted so they were quite obvious, and it only really worked because i had (dare i say it) m3 mirrors that had no stalk :unsure:

DrSarty
i had a pair on the wing mirror trim plate in my old 205, that worked quite well as a location, but the were surface mounted not flush mounted so they were quite obvious, and it only really worked because i had (dare i say it) m3 mirrors that had no stalk :unsure:

Thomas!

images-1.jpg

Edited by DrSarty

tom_m

'KIN A! we've all gotta start somewhere! :B

southers.jpg

PhilCTI
'KIN A! we've all gotta start somewhere! :B

southers.jpg

I've got some on the mirror trim plate too, just have to make sure the adjuster for the mirrors has enough room

apr013.jpg

smokey
I've got some on the mirror trim plate too, just have to make sure the adjuster for the mirrors has enough room

apr013.jpg

Any chance of a picture?

GLPoomobile

/\ Eh? Can you not see that picture?

I was thinking of fitting my tweeters to the mirror plate. But if I do it I'm going to cut off the mirror adjustment arm because it's utterly redundant anyway. I'm the only driver for my car and never need to adjust the mirrors.

smokey
/\ Eh? Can you not see that picture?

I was thinking of fitting my tweeters to the mirror plate. But if I do it I'm going to cut off the mirror adjustment arm because it's utterly redundant anyway. I'm the only driver for my car and never need to adjust the mirrors.

Did he post a picture?

Photobucket pictures get blocked at work for some reason. Photolava ones dont?!

Will see when i get home

PhilCTI

I did post a pic but its disappeared, send me a message with your email and I'll post you the pic

Phil

Paintguy

My first 205 had them fitted to the triangular plate where the mirrors mount (commonly called the sail panel due to its shape), but in my current car they are mounted in the A pillar trims firing directly across the car (i.e. facing each other)

Having them here helps to raise the soundstage to an acceptable height (mines on top of the dashboard :D ), and the natural attenuation gained by having the nearest tweeter firing more off axis than the other helps level matching, making the stage more central.

I've no pictures with the tweeters fitted, but here's one of the A pillars I made:

post-5979-1205532963_thumb.jpg

Pugnut

heres my attempt from long long ago :

post-44-1205539716_thumb.jpg

probably still got them somewhere

post-44-1205539804.jpg

Sign in to follow this