• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smokey

Tweeters Placement

smokey

Paintguy

I do like the look of thoese A piller ones. You say you made them yourself?

Paintguy

Yes smokey, they're all my own work :)

I've got some step by step pictures somewhere, but basically I took the original A pillar trims and hot glued the tweeters mounting cups to them. Thin fabric was then stretched over the whole thing, and strengthened up with polyester resin. After a bit of filling and sanding they got a couple of coats of black textured paint.

I reckon they came out pretty well for my first attempt :lol:

smokey
Yes smokey, they're all my own work :)

I've got some step by step pictures somewhere, but basically I took the original A pillar trims and hot glued the tweeters mounting cups to them. Thin fabric was then stretched over the whole thing, and strengthened up with polyester resin. After a bit of filling and sanding they got a couple of coats of black textured paint.

I reckon they came out pretty well for my first attempt :lol:

They look very good.

If you could find the step by step pictures, that would be great. Got some spare pillars i might have a go on B)

Paintguy

The pictures were all available in the link in my sig, but that site has died :lol:

I'll see if I can find somewhere else to host them, or PM me your email address and I'll send them over.

DrSarty

I've done this sort of thing too; it's actually quite simple, where the main effort is the sanding and prep before the final finish.

Here it's just a mini version of making a door build for mid speakers. You are basically making a ring to sit the speaker in (in this case using the tweeter bracket) and gluing it - hot melt glue guns being ace here - perhaps using little wedges of MDF or plastic at an angle to the base you want to sit it on, in this case an a-pillar trim, which forms the base.

You then get speaker grille cloth or similar, which is multi-directional stretchy, pull it over the shape you've made and fix it at the rear. You then get some glass fibre resin and hardener (David's is OK from car spares places) and sacrifice a paint brush's life to paint it all over the stretched cloth.

Once it's cured and is hard, you can cut or drill through it if necessary to make the tweeter/speaker fit, and fill (with filler) any imperfections (or all over if you wish) and sand it all down ready for paint etc.

If you're really clever, instead of just surface mounting you can make a ring out of typical kitchen work surface edging to mount the speaker in, stretching the cloth over the lip. This means the speaker/tweeter sits flush with the new surface looking almost standard to factory trim.

Best of luck.

Here are some tutorials from JLAudio: Clicky

Edited by DrSarty

Sign in to follow this