• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Powers

Throttle Bodies For A 106 Cup Car

Powers

I am asking for a friend who rallies a 106 Cup car (1.6 16v TU) who wants to ditch his standard plenum and move on to throttle bodies with aftermarket engine management.

He has a fairly large budget so I am just wondering if anyone knows what are the best throttle bodies and intake manifold to use on this engine? He will be increasing the specification of the engine over the next 12 months to around 180bhp so they need to aid rather than restrict in the future.

Cheers.

base-1

Probably Maxi type direct to head ones, or if they're too rare/pricey then Jenvey SF's

Edited by base-1

Batfink

I believe the KMS ones are a direct copy of the maxi ones. Speak to Matt at QEP. I know he fettles with them slightly and they seem to flow better than the jenvey's

Powers

Cheers for the replies.

Dj_mini

If he is allowed to cut the scuttle id get one of sandys manifolds and jenvey bodies once james car is complete we will see what this set up can realy do :)

Powers

I am sure he will be allowed to cut the scuttle.

What is the exact spec of James's build, if you dont mind disclosing the information.

Also why did he decide on the Jenvey units rather than the afforementioned KMS direct to head ones?

Dj_mini

I think it was the fact that the dth are a bit more pricey than the norm jenveys.

Have a look at sandy thread in this section for the "ambitious 16v build" thats james car i dont think the engine is back in so there wont be any pics of the set up.

Sandy

James' isn't in yet (not long to go now hopefully!), but here's a pic of my "DCOE" set up on another car:

post-2671-1205304864_thumb.jpg

I've had good results with the Jenvey "SF" set up on standard and modified engines. The Jenvey SF manifold needs a little porting for heavily modified engines to give it's best, but the resulting tract is the same as direct to head type. Likewise I designed that manifold pictured to enable at straight inlet tract and long trumpets to be used with DCOE type bodies. That guy already had the DCOE bodies on the Chadil manifold, which bizarrely bends the tract (in a horrible transition) to level out the bodies, but not level enough for carbs! Using my manifold he was able to extend the tract from approx 280mm to 350mm, which made an enormous difference to the mid range and delivery with a slight improvement in top end power.

Powers

Cheers for the advice guys.

So there are 2 options:

The QEP/KMS ones with wideband ecu and loom adapter, all thats left to buy is the air filter and throttle cable - £2283 minus a possible discount.

Or there is the Jenvey TH42/Sandy set up:

THP42 x 2 = £401

Fuel rail x 2 = £46

Throttle cable and linkage = £88

Throttle cable linkage mounting = £15

Carbon fibre 50mm airhorns x 4 = £148

Throttle position sensor = £47

Sandy intake manifold = £225

Plus vat on jenvey parts = £1100.37

This would involve using standard injectors and also buying an airfilter.

Then there is the choice of ECU, which is more likely to be a DTA.

The Jenvey/Sandy option sounds like a better option or have I left something important out.

Edited by Powers

Sandy

Skip the Carbon air horns! Get the bodies with 45mm entry/42mm butterflies. Then you can use the alloy trumpets which are £60 for a set! You also have a better range of lengths available in the 45mm size.

For DTA S40 and custom loom, around £850-900 inc VAT.

Powers

Whats the best length of trumpets and injector size to order?

Thanks again.

Edited by Powers

Sandy

For the "Cup" engine spec, I would try 40mm long trumpets on the TH bodies (~340mm overall tract length with my manifold) and use Clio sport Pico style injectors (250cc@3bar). No need to use anything bigger, it'll only make it trickier to map at part throttle.

Sam

I got some cheap unused Pico Injectors for sale B) Weber ones.

They are 305cc @ 3 bar though I think.

Sign in to follow this