• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Big_Jimbob

Problems With 1.9

Big_Jimbob

Hey guys, iv started having problems with my ignition on my 1.9.... I had a missfire before and now im gettin a missfire when the car is warm....

I thought id cured it well im sure i did... I cut out the plug between the ignition amp and dissy as it was broken....

i had replaced the ignition amp before this and didnt put any heat transfer paste on....

Iv also replaced the coil, plugs, leads dissy cap and rotor...

Im now sure its the ignition amp as iv changed back over to the old one and the problem seems lower down the rev range....

does this sound feasible??

when it does this the revs seem to drop 100rpm or so quite quickly then pick up again....

any help would be good right now...

Thanks

Jim

Stu

It does point towards the amp mate, the paste is quite important for heat dissipation too...

BUT, i had this trouble with the Mi, and no matter how many amps i had from GSF/ECP etc etc they all gave a misfire, it was only when i fitted an old Bosch one that all was well.

So my advice would be to source a proper Bosch one and apply some heatsink compound to it.

Big_Jimbob

well i think iv sorted this now.....

iv replaced the amp and put thermal paste on it and no problems.....

run from cold a few times all the way up the temp scale even sat in traffic for half hour and it didnt miss a beat...

thanks

Jim

Big_Jimbob

Started playing up again today.....

i am really getting fed up with this.... im trying to get the car ready to sell and everything else is fantastic and immaculate appart from the running atm.......

Does anyone know if there is a relay for the ignition and if so where??

its just like the engine cuts out for 200rpm, even when coasting down the revs the rev counter flitts about all over and drops revs.....

please help guys....

Big_Jimbob

Also there isnt the sound of the fuel pump priming every time when the igniton is turned on......

I had read somwhere that this can be cause by ignition problems....

but i know its not the tachy relay playing up as it wouldnt mess up the rev counter as it is doing....

Jim

Big_Jimbob

right guys i could really do with some help now!!!

Iv replaced the amp with a known good one, applyed the paste and still had the same problems.....

iv replaced the spark plugs as its the only thing i havent changed.... the plugs were white!! does this point to the fuel system rather than the ignition problems....?

the car now only stutters under acceleration and its only minor....

could it be the fuel filter blocked?

could it be the fuel pump?

the tachy relay?

the ecu temp sensor....?

please help me...

Jim

kate205gti

have u got anyone local with a good working 1.9? the misfires ive had before have come from the ignition amp and sticking injector

interesting it went away for a while thou when u changed the amp - dodgy wiring maybe? swap the amp again for a known good one off a running 1.9 if you can and see if it works ok again? it could be eating them somehow :huh:

you might not hear the fuel pump prime if its got seats in but if it fires up first turn of the key then it working :P

Big_Jimbob

If you put your ear near the drivers rear arch you can hear the pump while the engine is running....

the thing is even when its playing up it can go for 10miles with nothing then start spluttering then stop again.....

so i probably just got it on a good day when i changed the amp....

im really starting to think its fuel or plug related....

Jim

DamirGTI
right guys i could really do with some help now!!!

Iv replaced the amp with a known good one, applyed the paste and still had the same problems.....

iv replaced the spark plugs as its the only thing i havent changed.... the plugs were white!! does this point to the fuel system rather than the ignition problems....?

the car now only stutters under acceleration and its only minor....

could it be the fuel filter blocked?

could it be the fuel pump?

the tachy relay?

the ecu temp sensor....?

please help me...

Jim

hello !

If the plugs are white (kind of sateen sheen pigment..) then the air/fuel mixture is too lean ..

Can you take/post the picture of the spark plug please ?

(but do try to make a good one !)

Rgs ! :huh:

Damir

DamirGTI
Also there isnt the sound of the fuel pump priming every time when the igniton is turned on......

I had read somwhere that this can be cause by ignition problems....

but i know its not the tachy relay playing up as it wouldnt mess up the rev counter as it is doing....

Jim

Well it doesn't have to make a buzzy sound every time , it'll depend on the fuel pump relay brand/type , I've had 3 OE Bosch relays which didn't make buzzy sound every time when i switch the ignition on .. also I've had 2 Cartier relays and they where making buzzy sound every time when the ignition is switched on , after a long standing and after a few seconds from turning the engine off no matter ...

So if your car/engine starts , if it's running , if it's doesn't cut out completely when driving then the relay is fine ..

Damir :huh:

EDIT try this :

try with spare (buy/borrow/beg !) ignition coil and see if that helps , cos if the rev counter is playing "silly games" it could be the coil or the wiring as the tacho signal goes from the coil/ignition amp

if your car has Jetronic engine management check the dizzy signal cable with an multimeter and repair/replace him as necessary (it's the black cable with yellow 3-pin plug on the end which goes from the body of the dizzy to the ignition amp. connector ..)

check all the wirings and connectors on and around ignition components - coil , ignition amp. ...

do the same on the fueling system connectors - injector wiring/connectors , engine temp. connector/wiring , AFM connector/wiring...

take the injectors out and get them cleaned and tested on ultrasonic machine (if you didn't clean them for a long time they will do wonders on the fuel consumption and throttle response/acceleration once you clean them !)

replace the fuel filter (well the first reason is - because it's cheap ! and the second , more important - you really don't want rubbish from the old fuel filter blocking your freshly cleaned injectors do you :P )

replace the engine temp. sensor (also - it's cheap .. but don't buy him form Peugeot , go to your local car part store cos it's much more cheaper in "normal" store then OE ..)

try borrow/buy some spare AFM and see if that helps

what about the dizzy cap/arm/leads/plugs ? have you been changing some of this parts yet ?

Edited by DamirGTI

Grim.Badger

If you aren't far away from me you could use parts from my 1.9 to check yours, it was a good runner before I garaged it.

As Damir said, given the state of the plugs (a pic would be better) it sounds as if you are running lean.

If you cant figure out how to host pics just send me one and I will post it up :huh:

DamirGTI
If you aren't far away from me you could use parts from my 1.9 to check yours, it was a good runner before I garaged it.

As Damir said, given the state of the plugs (a pic would be better) it sounds as if you are running lean.

If you cant figure out how to host pics just send me one and I will post it up ;)

Yes that will be the best and the easiest option - to swap the parts from one (good working car) to another car :huh: as it could be that some of the new parts which he bought are bad ones from the start , like the ignition amp. it's easy to burn him even if it's new in just a few hours of running without the thermal transfer paste (overheating) and it can be damaged .. also theres one brand of the ignition amp. which is s***t as new bought item - "Intermotor"

Also , you can/will help him out with this problem if he drop by right ? :P

Regards ! B)

Damir

Big_Jimbob

I just got 2 amps through in the post thismorning from Tody, he said they were both good and working... i applied the paste and took the car for a spin...

i still had the same problems...

i have replaced so far

dissy cap

rotor arm

ht leads

plugs

amp (tried 3 now)

repaired the signal wiring from amp to dissy

im gonna get a fuel filter to replace and new plugs again

also gonna replace the ecu temp sensor

i will give u a shout mate if this doesnt sort the problems as cleethorpes is a bit of a treck if the car isnt running rite...

thanks for the offer

Jim

Big_Jimbob

Bingo....

I think iv sorted it now..... well again...

It started running bad on my driveway, i looked under the bonnet and the king lead was against the signal lead for the dissy,

as soon as i moved it it ran good again....

i also have replaced all the signal lead and sheild lead....

Lets see how it goes now...

thanks

Jim

DamirGTI

Fingers crossed :huh:

Damir :P

Grim.Badger

Thats odd, what brand of HT lead are you using? I may be that the insulation is really thin on them.

Sign in to follow this