• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pug_Power_Dave

Uprated Engine Mounts

Pug_Power_Dave

Just wondering who's running uprated engine mounts and which ones they are using and how they feel compaired to the standard ones etc, and whats the advantages / disadvantages of each style.

Cheers

Dave

dave_gti

i have been advised with a stiffer lower engine mount, and a 306 gti6 buffer at top, it is supposed to hold it tighter

djinuk

i have group n all around , the baker bm ones, gearshift feel more solid, a few more vibrations through the cabin but nothing to concern. engine feels much more lively,

James_R

I've been using baker GRP N mounts initally with the top buffers std, then moved to baker buffers and packed the mount out, loads of vibration through the shell, barely any movement in the drivetrain.

Moving to full solid now, defo for race use only.

Dan Ingram

I've got full grp n baker ones including buffers. I have a stripped interior so its very noisy and theres lots of vibrations but the engines solid, theres hardly any movement at all.

CosKev

What would you recommend for fast road use please????????

ifcho

are there any issues when using solid bottom mount, except the more noise/vibrations?

Dan Ingram

No issues I've found so far. Just more noise and vibrations.

j_turnell

I ran the group n mounts and also the vinbra technics engine mounts and found them both to be good, added vibration but i did notice a slight improvement in throttle response and the car seemed more like a complete unit during cornering and braking if that makes sense as it irradicated any engine movement. Personally i'd go for group n as they are cheaper than the vibra technics and do just the same job. Although one advantage of the v.technics is you can swap the rubber inserts round and they are billet aly so a nice bit of bling in the engine bay.

Pug_Power_Dave

Cheers for all the advise! think a set of those group n ones sound like a plan to start off with and go from there!!

Thankies Everybody :)

Miles

With the rubber ones it does give the engine a little bit of movement, Mount it solid and the drive has got to go somewhere and thats either the Driveshafts or Gearbox so as James's said it's more for pure Motorsport use as these get checked and changed often, Also worth spanner checking the car from time to time as the vibe's can work things loose

jonnie205

yes for an out and out track car get the most solid mount you can and it will help handling and performance, all the super 1600 fwd rally cars dont have any engine mounts as such at all, the engine block is bolted directly to the shell

Guest dudi

Hi guys. Where would you reccomend I purchase the Grp N mounts from? I'm new to the Pug scene so any help would be appreciated.

Ry

j_turnell

Have a search for Baker bushes.

James_R

pretty much what I'm moving to :D looking forward to it.

Threadlok is your friend!!

I'd start off with the std top buffers then if it's still not good enough use the baer ones, that's what adds a lot of the vibration in the shell.

kyepan

lower solid (rubber) engine mounts are loud, lots of vibration, hide the engine note, but help stop knocking of exhaust on the bulkhead.

there is a turbo xantia one avaialble that is heavy duty rubber but not solid.. on my engine mount link.

Batfink

I never had a problem with the group N mount. Minor vibration but nothing excessive. Nothing could hide the sound of the throttlebodies either.

My new car will be solid mounted but then it will never see a road ever again..

kilauea

I'm on bbm grp N lower mount with the rest standard. It definitely feels less sloppy but it the vibration isn't massively increased from the front. Mine is intended as a short trip fast road / track day car and fits the bill being reasonably comfortable.

24seven

I've got full BMM group N mounts and although it feels great to drive, my car isn't a road goer and I can imagine stiffer mounts becoming annoying on the road. Personall I'd stick with OEM mounts if you're planning on driving it any distance.

M_R_205

The stiffer mounts are a little annoying at first when on a regular road car, but after a while they softern up or you just get used to them, a little trick if you have access to a press is to spin the lower one 90 degrees, it stops the feeling of engine `slap` if that makes sence, but keeps things smooth

Edited by M_R_205

Bakes100

I have the BBM mounts on my 205 and also had a lower one on my 306 , i found the lower one made the biggest difference.

They vibrate at around 1500 rpm and a few things rattle about but apart from that its fine.

Sign in to follow this