• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

Magnex Backbox Too Loud

M@tt

On my mi16 have a standard 205 downpipe and centre silencer connected up to a magnex backbox. However i'm finding the booming from the backbox is getting too much to bear (must be my old age :rolleyes: )

Motorway travelling is particularly bad and with the PSOOC Euro trip coming up in a couple of months i think i need to sort it before embarking on a couple of thousand motorway miles which may well drive me insane.

The backbox doesn't rattle or anything indicating the baffles have come loose its more the deafening booming sound pretty much across the rev range. It's not overly loud outside the car i dont believe its just from inside you can get a headache after a couple of hours of being subjected to it.

Therefore i'm wondering how other people have found them?

Can they be repacked to muffle the sound some more, or would this harm performance? or is it going to be a case of getting a new exhaust? Ideally id'd like a stanless one over standard purely from an aesthetic ponit of view cos i'm a bit of a tart :blink:

cheers

Tom Fenton

Try an extra layer of sound deadening under the mat in the boot, a lot of the noise I've found on a 205 is the boot floor drumming.

Coonper

Put another silencer in the centre section...?

Rippthrough

Might have slowly blown out too much of the matting, I'm not sure if magnex silencers are repackable or not but you could always chop the end off and reweld it?

Doof

I've often wondered with my exhaust about this. Now, you know you can get those rubbery (presumably heat resistant) straps to hang your exhaust from? Could you just tightly wrap them around your exhaust? maybe 3 or 4 at various points down the exhaust. It'd surely reduce vibrations and some of the horrible droning.

C_W

The only way to do it properly would be to change the exhaust, even when packed some exhaust still boom and it's more the baffle design that causes this I think. Can't beat Jetex for relatively silent crusing in the 205. I remember how quiet mine sat at 90 with a Jetex system and the taller 1.9 diff, it was quite impressive really for a 205! They do get noisier though after a while but never "boomy".

Anthony

I've got a standard system with a Magnex backbox that's atleast 6-7 years old, and it's pretty quiet - louder than standard, but certainly much quieter than the vast majority of aftermarket exhausts that I've experienced in other 205's. Indeed, it subjectively seems that there is more noise from the engine bay than from the exhaust.

If yours is boomy and ear-splittingly loud, then I'd agree with others that the baffles are likely shot in it.

tom_m

i had a full magnex ssytem breifly that made a god awful noise. not exactly boomy, more singy like a ringing noise. at motorway cruise speed it would go right through my head!

funnily tho once it had been removed i missed the rasp from the tail pipe :D

it sounded nothing like ants magnex backbox, which is a most auraly pleasing noise indeed!

sussex_gti

I have a standard mi16 with a Des Developments 2" system, which leads to a 1.75" tailpipe. Really impressed with it on motorways etc, not to boomy at all. Quite an expensive system, but great quality and fit.

Sign in to follow this