• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ilovemypug

Daily Car

ilovemypug

hey there, finally found out how to post new topics (duhhh) hehehe :)

i have had a 1991 205 1.1 xr in the past and now am looking for something a bit more powerfull but on a tight budget.. i really wanted a 205 xs but it seems hard to find one around here where i live. the car would be my daily commuter so there has to be a compromise between smiles and miles per gallon.

now i was thinking of getting a 1.1 and putting either a 1.4 xs engine, or i know a guy that has a tu5 1.6 engine.. would there be much difference? does the power of the 1.4 xs engine come mainly from the solex carbs?

does any one know if i could do this swap without it being noticed during a mot inspection?

or any suggestions to a sporty engine septup but that does not guzzle petrol like mad?

ps: i have a local dealer asking for 2000€ for a 1992 150.000km xs does any one think its worth that much? it looks impec engine wise

would it be hard to convert a rhd car to a lhd one as i live in portugal.. in case i could get a uk model

all ears for suggestions..

Edited by ilovemypug

NeilGTi85

Ive had a 1.4 GTX in the past and in my opinion it was an amazing car, quick enough. I then brought a 1.6 GTi and there was not a great deal of diffrence....

I would go for a 1.4 if you can find one.......and also 2000 euro's sounds abit on the pricey side for a xs.....not sure about converting a rhd to lhd....im sure you can....

For 1500 euro's you could get a decent 1.4 over here.....but is it worth all the hassle of transport etc...

Neil

DaveW

The xs engine has a very short gearbox and a different cam as its peak power is at 6400rpm! yes the twin choke carb helps loads with the power. not sure on the lhd conversion think you might have to mod the bulkhead as the brake sevro and pedal box is on the wrong side....

Sign in to follow this