• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
huzzer

Vts Multiplexed Looms

huzzer

I have been looking into buying a complete VTS (crash damage or just cheap) and have read a few places that some of them have "multiplexed" wiring looms.

Is this something to steer clear of for the conversion or does this not involve the engine loom?

Only reason being is I would want to get hold of a newish car if possible but have heard that they are no fun to wire in. Which year did they become multiplexed (or more difficult!)

Thanks,

Ben

huzzer

Done some investigating!

Think I now understand loosely what mutiplexed means, but I don't know what year the xsara's started using it?? Any ideas? Think it was '02.

Or April '01? I'm confused. :wacko:

Edited by huzzer

Super Josh

Well if you get hold of a multiplexed loom you won't be able to use that in your 205. Magic over on Aussie Frogs used an afermarket Haltech to run a '6 engine that came out of multiplexed car.

Alternatively get hold of the lowest Km engine you can. If it comes out of a multiplexed car then get hold of a non-multiplexed loom and an unlocked ECU off here and get someone to ship it over for you :wacko:

Josh

huzzer

Thanks Josh.

Thats sort of the way I was thinking. Try and get something as new as possible, leave the multiplex loom in the car, and ask on here for a gti6 loom or similar.

I tried to get some info about the engine he was selling but didn't get a friendly response so I think i''l just ship whatever I find over there.

What year did the xsara cease production?

richsmells

Could someone just briefly explain what a multiplexed loom is?

Is it where literally every electronic component on the car is ecu controlled, so if something is amiss (i.e. not present in the converted car) it throws a wobbly?

pug_ham
Why multiplex?

The advantages of a multiplex system over conventional electrical equipment:

• A considerable reduction of the number of wires.

• Thinner cable looms in the vehicle.

The fact that all kinds of switching conditions can be built into a circuit means that the entire

arrangement of electrical circuits can be simplified. This leads to:

• A reduction of the number of relays.

• Simplification of electrical junction boxes.

• A reduction of vehicle mass and hence reduced fuel consumption.

The multiplex system further reduces the number of separate electronic switches (for example:

flasher unit, windscreen wiper interval, time switches…).

The multiplex system can also read messages that are available on the drive line CAN bus

(Control Area Network bus – see below). This also leads to a reduction of the number of wires

and components in the periphery of the drive line.

The fact that one or more diagnostic options have been applied makes it easier to test the

vehicle or trace faults. These options can be used as an on-board diagnostic feature or can be

connected to an external PC. The term on-board diagnosis means the possibilities provided

without the use of special equipment.

Also;

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_109458/article.html

Graham.

brianthemagical

Multiplex basically means that instead of having all sensors and outputs on there own wires, like a serial port, they share the wires, but signals are sent at intervals and the control unit knows which sensor it is reading.

BERTMAN

and its also very slow, in 206's anyway... flash the lights, half an hour later.. ah they we go. annoying to say the least haha

RossD

The sensors et all aren't actually multiplexed on the engine loom on these, its pretty conventional. There is however, a multiplex data connection between the ECU and the BSI (Essentially the brain for the rest of the car) and the ECU won't run without this I don't think.

ablister
and its also very slow, in 206's anyway... flash the lights, half an hour later.. ah they we go. annoying to say the least haha

it's not all slow, things like rear wiper are slow but imporatnt things are instant like abs or air bags etc

niklas
it's not all slow, things like rear wiper are slow but imporatnt things are instant like abs or air bags etc

That's a good thing, cause a lagged air bag would hurt! :)

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this