• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CaptainK

Braking Problem

CaptainK

I'm currently driving my sisters car around (L reg 1.4 XT 106) as both of my cars are off the road.

I'm finding the brakes to be absolutely pants. I'm told they have been like that and my sister (and my mum before as it was my mums car) have just got used to it. But I'm thinking there must be something I can check ?

So far I'm told its had new pads and discs over the years and still the brakes stay the same.

You have to put your foot quite a long way down on the pedal for it to actually produce any decent amount of braking. Could there be a problem with the brake cylinders ?

Any hints & tips would be good as to be honest I find it scary to drive this car after having big brakes on my 205 and FTO.

welshpug

were the pads original equipment or pattern part? I've found pattern par braking performance to be somewhat lacking compared to a set of branded/Original equipment pads. (I.E stick to Bendix/Girling/ATE/Textar on a pug, Textar I've found to be the best performing)

if the pedal is a bit long I would check the self adjusting mechanism in the rear drums, check the wheel cylinders while you're there.

All Praise The GTI

the problem with brakes on a 106 is the same problem with brakes on most 306s... they are SH**E!!! down right DANGEROUS infact

sorry that isnt very helpfull but its true!

Rippthrough

The rear drum self adjusters often get stuck/slip back.

CaptainK

I have no idea what pads and discs have been used, but the pads have been changed twice to no avail.

How do you go about checking the rear drum adjusters? I know very little about the 106, except that its green, has a 1.4 engine in it and the brakes are pants. :angry:

steve@cornwall
I have no idea what pads and discs have been used, but the pads have been changed twice to no avail.

How do you go about checking the rear drum adjusters? I know very little about the 106, except that its green, has a 1.4 engine in it and the brakes are pants. :angry:

If you're parked on a slight incline, how many clicks of the handbrake are required to hold the car? Pull the handbrake up by one less click than this and see if the pedal feels better when you drive.. If so - time to adjust!

CaptainK
If you're parked on a slight incline, how many clicks of the handbrake are required to hold the car? Pull the handbrake up by one less click than this and see if the pedal feels better when you drive.. If so - time to adjust!

Aha! Now that *I* can do. Thanks :angry:

Mikey S
Aha! Now that *I* can do. Thanks :D

to be honest, there all s*ite, regardless of what you do to the rear brakes. if you think 1.4 brakes are crap. try the 1.0, 1.1 with the really weedy brakes........

Rippthrough

The 247mm solids are OK with a decent fast road pad in, the stock pads appear to be made from wood.

Jrod

Yep pug pads are s*it imo!

I bought a 1.1 with a set in and the way home I couldnt belive how hard I had to push the pedal. Swapped the pads for some EBCs and what an improvement.

welshpug

have to disagree, pattern pads are awful, o.e are more than up to the task of road use.

you have to remember here that its his sister's ikle pug so I would imagine fast road pads would be a nono as they would never get hot enough.

Jrod

If they are the same as base model pads I've a set of hardly used Genuine ones here you can have for postage, they are gash!

I used cheapy cheap £10 pads that were better. :wacko: (ok they only lasted a few weeks :lol:)

Rippthrough
have to disagree, pattern pads are awful, o.e are more than up to the task of road use.

you have to remember here that its his sister's ikle pug so I would imagine fast road pads would be a nono as they would never get hot enough.

Aftermarket have to be within ~5% of the friction value of OEM spec, so they cant be that bad, whereas 1144's have more friction everywhere, they were far, far better on my solids.

Edited by Rippthrough

CaptainK

:lol: My sister is more of a speedy person when driving than me. I have no idea how she hasn't killed herself with those pants brakes. Ironic really that I drive slower, but have much faster cars and much better brakes.

I'll give the 106 a lookover over the weekend to see what is what. I tried the handbrake clicks yesterday and you do have to pull it up a bit to get it to hold. Forgot to do the braking with the handbrake on technique you mentioned before. Doh! :wacko:

CaptainK

Ok, so last night I did the "put handbrake on a little, just enough to hold the car on a small incline" trick as mentioned above. The brake pedal instantly felt much better and smoother and didn't travel as far to produce a better amount of braking.

So how do I go about adjusting these "rear adjusters" ? Is it easy enough for a novice like myself? I literally just know how to do service stuff - e.g. change oil & filter, coolant flush and refill, replace brake discs and pads.

Thanks again for the advice so far.

johnsimister

My daughter's 106 1.1 had poor brakes and an even worse handbrake, enough to fail the MOT. When the rear drums were removed one of the linings on each side fell out. They had come unbonded from the shoes. New shoes, clean up the adjusters, new wheel cylinders while it was apart and the brakes were fine. I'm ashamed to admit I got the local garage to do the job because I didn't have time, but they showed me the bits. Apparently it's quite common for the linings to unbond like this, which is scary.

John

Sign in to follow this