• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mylo P

Broken Bleed Nipple

Mylo P

Hello All,

Had wanted to start off with a better thread for my first post, but unfortunately this is probably going to be expensive or difficult to resolve.

I need to replace some grotty looking brake pipeworks prior to MOT of 1.9 205, so over the weeked i thought i would just slacken off the bleed nipples on the front calipers to make sure they were okay. Unfortunatley the passenger side has sheared off even though i cleaned, put Plus Gas on it and heated it with blow torch before trying to undo it.

Any ideas to try and get it out? Don't want to replace the whole caliper, but may need too.

Thanks in advance

daza4

2 Choices

1 Engineering shop to drill out and retap for a ne nipple

2 Replace caliper (either new or good 2nd Hand)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I did the same on my old 205 but on the rear caliper, much more expensive mistake( especially once I got the drill to it myself!!)

maturin23

You should be able to get hold of a second-hand replacement for peanuts on here as plenty of people have upgraded/are breaking.

christopher

Save yourself a headache and get a new one or replacement. They are pretty impossible to remove. A new is around £50 I am told

Sloppy

both my rears are sheared, anyone got any grand tips to sort em out?

gizzmo
never tried with bleed nipple but works on other hydolic fittings get an allen key grinde it back a little so it can be knocked into the bleed hole wined it out , u can open the hole up a little if your carfull, like i say it does work but havent tried a bleed nipple, usualy grease nipples in my case

Simes

Common problem I'm afraid - easiest to buy new or secondhand.

Ryan

You can bleed it out of the hose hole if you have the patience.

You have to take the caliper off and lock the piston in place with a clamp or a bit of wood. Then turn it so that the hose port is at the very top so that the air bubbles will rise up to it. Then slacken off the hose while someone pumps the brakes.

It's a pain in the arse, but it can be done.

lagonda

Just had this trouble with mine. 6 months ago I managed to loosen the nipple, but still pretty tight in the thread making it difficult to judge actual tightness on retightening ... so I managed to break it. Typical of the car.

Anyway, as I had loosened it, I though eezi-out, blowlamp, freeing oil & it would come out a treat. Not with this car.

Ended up taking it to local engineering firm. They damaged existing thread getting nipple remains out, but I was ready for that & had also taken an old Fiat nipple along, which is identical including seating in every respect apart from crucially being 1mm thicker!

Anyway charge for the whole job was only a tenner ... but it does mean taking it off & refitting the caliper, but then you'd need to do that anyway if buying another.

Rippthrough

I'll be doing an exchange service for refurbed ones soon :);)

keith

I've broken a few bleed nipples in my time. I find that the bleed screw metal seems to be quite soft and its easy to hammer a star bit or something similar into it, then unscrew from there, heating it up a little before hand can also help ease it out. Its worth a try before you buy new calipers, only costs 50p or so for a new bleed nipple.

goodluck

Sign in to follow this