• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Gearbox Oil Leak

djinuk

ok , noticed tonight i am loosing gearbox oil , going to have a look tomorrow and check the plugs are in tight, if they are where am i most likely loosing the oil from ? drive shafts seals ?

DamirGTI

Hello !

Yes most common places are driveshaft seals , next - oil drain plug , dif. cover , O ring seal in between the speedometer housing , 5-th gear cover on the end of the box on the wheel side and thats it me thinks B) (theres also gasket in the middle of the gearbox where the front and the rear box housings are bolted together but they rarely leak out from that area ..)

The best way to find from where it leaks out is to clean/degrease the gearbox with solvent , wait until it dries out then start the car and look underneath for leaks at these areas ... or place a piece of cardboard underneath the engine/gearbox and leave it for a few hours or over night .. afterwards you'll be able to see from where it leaks by looking at the oil spots on the cardboard surface ..

Are you sure that it's gearbox oil ?

Damir

Edited by DamirGTI

djinuk

yep defiantly gearbox oil, the smell makes me churn. its quite a large leak, car sat for 30 mins not running and it left a puddle about 5 inches wide, :blush:, really hopping its a simple fix, just want my pug to work with me B). are drive shaft seals hard to replace, never done it before.

You say diff cover, not sure i have never spotted this,

Edited by djinuk

djinuk

i have no speedo cable at the moment (not even a cable present ) could this be the problem, with no cable present will the gearbox leak out of the top?

DamirGTI

The seals are easy to remove/replace , but you need to pull the driveshafts out from the gearbox first ..

This is the dif. cover :

Picture002-6.jpg

Picture001-5.jpg

Picture010-1.jpg

Rgs !

Damir

DamirGTI
i have no speedo cable at the moment (not even a cable present ) could this be the problem, with no cable present will the gearbox leak out of the top?

maybe B) if the hole is fully opened without the speedo gear inside ...

KRISKARRERA

What other parts of the gearbox have surfaces that mate together? Mine leaks a bit too.

welshpug

if there is no cable present it will leak, if the drive gear is also missing then you've got a BIG leak!

djinuk

Well today i went around the G-box and cleaned it off, i put in a speedo cable and went around did up the plugs a bit tighter, however i cam home after leaving the car for another few hours and indeed it is still leaking :ph34r:, looking at doing the diff housing, anybody want to give me a quick guide on how to go about doing the job, I took a glance and it looked like it would be a (drive shafts out) then unbolt it all , then seal and rebolt and then drop the drive shafts back in .(after dropping the gearbox oil of course), Would it be worth doing the drive shaft seals at the same time? are they hard to do, also what kind of sealant should i use on the diff housing?

danpug

Yes you may as well do the seals at the same time, can be a pain to prise out. I always dive them a smear of oil then gently tap back in.

djinuk

where should i get the drive shaft oil seals from, must i go genuine or will my local Motormania do the job. Also I am guessing it a job of dropping the gearbox oil, can i reuse this in anyway, can you fil the gearbox from the top, its just that its such fresh

uncle buck

You don't have to fit genuine oil seals you will probably be able to get them from your local place...if not try GSF.

Yeah you will have to drop the gearbox oil.....there's no reason why you can't reuse it, but if its been in for years now would be a good time to replace it.

If you know how much oil the gearbox holds (Haynes manual) you can refill from the top....take out the breather or reverse light switch & pour in the correct amount of oil from there.... It's still wise to check the oil level after doing this just to be sure.

Sign in to follow this