• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davemar

Adjusting Handbrake.

davemar

I've just fitted some new rear calipers on my 205 1.9 GTi as the old ones were in various states of seizure. I'm trying to get the handbrake to work effectively, but can't seem to get it working convincingly. At the moment if you pull the handbrake on while your foot is on the brake pedal, it doesn't need pulling up too far and holds the car well (after releasing the foot pedal). But if I just pull the handbrake lever up when not pressing the brake pedal it needs pulling up further and doesn't hold the car so well.

To me this doesn't feel quite right, surely the handbrake shouldn't be affected by the foot pedal. Is something going on with the automatic adjuster mechanism in the rear calipers?

welshpug

release all the tension in the cables, mash the brake pedal a good dozen times, then re-adjust the cable till there is 5mm between the inner cable ends and the lever on the caliper :)

if this doesnt work you may need some new cables.

davemar

I replaced the cables in the end as they were a bit sticky, and I think they were the wrongs ones, as the new ones are shorter and a much better fit. The handbrake now grips nicely!

Sign in to follow this