• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest muscles76

Oil Temp Gauge?

Guest muscles76

hi

right my oil temp gauge does not move at all everthing else is ok now the engine has been taken out and re con put in which is great but temp gauge does not move at all any ideas?

VisaGTi16v

Wire connected to the sensor in the sump? If so and it worked before then probably a dead sensor in your recon engine, will obviously need to remove the oil to change it. I think if you took the sensor wire off and earthed it on something the gauge should go to maximum which will test the cable and gauge

Guest muscles76

hi

wha would be the best to earth it 2

so to fix it the sump would have to come and senosr replaced ?

big job?

also is it essential for to be working?

VisaGTi16v

Anywhere on the gearbox should do it.

Nope, just need to unscrew the sensor from the sump and screw another one in but of course when you undo it the oil will pour out ;)

Well not really, most cars dont have them but its useful to know and if you go anywhere like track days etc you deffinately need it working to keep an eye on temperatures

GLPoomobile
hi

wha would be the best to earth it 2

so to fix it the sump would have to come and senosr replaced ?

big job?

also is it essential for to be working?

Earth is to the engine block. Sump doesn't need to come off, the sensor is just screwed in to the back. You can even swap it without dropping the oil if you can get it out and get a thumb in the whole quickly, and get the sensor back in again quickly! You'll obviously spill a bit of oil in the process though.

VisaGTi16v

That would work although dont do it when the engines been running else your thumb may get a tad hot ;)

jodycraw

The wire can just wear out and break off - mine did just that so I had to strip it back and re-attach it to the connector on the bottom of the sump. My oil temp hardly goes up anyway except on motorways

Guest muscles76

to much green :blush:

dont get cocky son i dont life to far away B)

welshpug

lol!

mossy

Raise the back or side of the car using jack and axle stands (higher the better)

You should be able to change the sender with out lossing any oil.

Just my two peneth worth.

Mossy

VisaGTi16v

and as I said on the first page, check the wire first! No point buying a new sensor if its just the wire or the dash itself

Sign in to follow this