• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Coonper

What Size Wheels?

Coonper

What size wheels are the best for handling and grip?

It currently has 16" on it, but i dont like the look of them.

I would like to go standard with it, and put the original 15" speedlines on it, but i dont think they will handle 180bhp. :D

What do you lot suggest?

It also has bilstein shocks and has been lowered all round by around 40mm.

Cheers

DaveW

Get some decent tyres would be a good start..

Coonper
Get some decent tyres would be a good start..

Its currently running toyo proxes, so they are good tyres, no doubt about it, but not a lot of grip. It understeers big time and in the wet its untameable! It torque steers all over the road and wheel spins constantly.

Maybe run some wide tyres, like 225's, or maybe go up to 17"? Not really sure how to cure it to be honest...

Jrod

What suspension setup are you running?

You won't get wide tyres on without a lot of work, I had 215/40/16's in the end and that was tight enough.

Coonper
What suspension setup are you running?

You won't get wide tyres on without a lot of work, I had 215/40/16's in the end and that was tight enough.

Bilstein front andrear shocks, with spax -40 springs in the front. All polybushed.

It has also got 20mm spacers on the front, and none on the rear...

kate205gti

ive always used 15s on mine with goodyear F1s or yoko paradas, as said maybe look at the rest of the setup rather than the wheels/tyres if its unmanageable - mine runs 190bhp with over 150lb ft and stays on the road without too much bother :D

Jrod

15's and a LSD should sort it. :D

Coonper
15's and a LSD should sort it. :D

If only... :D

Miles

Ditch the spacers for a start, What Billies are on there? as if they are the black ones replace the rears ASAP due to them being down rated to the std damper's,

Is the back lowered?

Stu

Im on Paradas with standard speedlines, and in the dry i think its awesome.

Its a little 'light' in the wet, but certainly not un-manageable, im on black billies on the front with generic -40mm lowering springs, stock 1900 rear beam with gti-6 dampers.

Its the braking i have trouble with :D '6 stoppers are a little too good in the wet.. :D

brianthemagical

how would a differnt diameter alter the traction? short of the wheel torque being differnt. my car also understeers in the wet, it's on speedlines and F1's, whith a massive 113bhp at the wheels. if you've got 195 proxes on 15"s you'll get the same grip. as stated above, standard offset is the best compromise.

Coonper
how would a differnt diameter alter the traction? short of the wheel torque being differnt. my car also understeers in the wet, it's on speedlines and F1's, whith a massive 113bhp at the wheels. if you've got 195 proxes on 15"s you'll get the same grip. as stated above, standard offset is the best compromise.

Im not saying that a bigger diameter wheel will create more traction, however normally, the bigger the wheel the wider the wheel. Therefore a wider tyre will give me better traction for sure, but obviously putting it on 19" wheels isnt gonna be good.

I am trying to find the best compromise between heavy steering/agility and grip. I suppose the standard spedlines with some good tyres will be best.

And the car is running just short of 165bhp at the wheels.

welshpug

bigger isn't always wider ;)

What I find with running the standard size tyres is that there is move give in the sidewall, so the tyre conforms to the shape of the surface better than a lower profile tyre you would find on a larger diameter wheel, my 405 has so much more grip and feel on 55's than 50's (195 15"s)

check your tyre pressures and have play about with them see if there's any improvements there, though I haven't tried them myself quite a few friends haven't found the Toyo's that good at all, it seems that they look and sound good and have become the "tuners" choice but may not have the performance to back that up.

Edited by welshpug

kate205gti

can you try borrowing some 15s with different tyres from a mate and see if they show any improvement?

Coonper
can you try borrowing some 15s with different tyres from a mate and see if they show any improvement?

Well i have 1.6 gti pepperpot wheels on my saxo at the moment. They have hankook tyres. Do you wreckon they will be better than the 16" with toyo's?

Also have a set of 15" O.Z super turismos with yoko tyres, but not sure about the offset...

welshpug

Give it a go, you might like it :lol:

Coonper
Give it a go, you might like it :lol:

I expect that with 14" wheels with crap tyres that are 155 wide its gonna be crazy!! Lol :lol:

welshpug

wyf?! they should be 185.

Bonzai

195/50/15 yoko paradas

if you still complain then you need to change your driving style :lol:

Rob Thomson

Whilst in good conditions you might get more grip from wider tyres the difference is going be barely noticeable. You'll get a much greater difference from using decent tyres and the correct alignment and pressures.

At this time of year I reckon chances are that you're better off keeping the narrow tyres; they're better in the wet and on s*itty greasy roads.

Coonper
195/50/15 yoko paradas

if you still complain then you need to change your driving style :lol:

They are yoko a355 or something. They were pretty crap on my saxo when compared to falkens. I was disappointed with them, and in the wet they were awfull!! Very good in the dry though, when they are warm!

I think i'll give them a go though. They are awesome wheels, and yoko's are renowned for being one of the best so i'll see how they go.

I dont think its worth even trying the 14" pepperpots with budget tyres! :lol:

Simes

I think you'll find the majority of the people on here run 15" wheels with either GSD3's or some sort of Toyo tyre. It's proven that it works - why go any bigger? A wider tyre will just give you even more torque steer, tram line and cause serious aquaplaning.

If I wanted to fork out for tyres I'd actually go back to 185/55's.

Sign in to follow this