• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MiD

Electrical Problem

MiD

Attempting to sort out the niggly little faults with my 1.6 GTi today.

Changed the check strap pin which was a case of bish bosh but after that things did not go too well.

The heater fan has always been dodgy and on it's way out, I think the final straw was when the scuttle became blocked with leaves then full of water which flooded into the passenger footwell. After that the fan refused to work whatsoever. Today bought a new one from GSF and fitted that but same thing no blower. Instead of crying I looked at this forum and decided that it must be the heater resistor. Took the resistor out of my STDT but as luck would have it that is four pin and the GTi is five pin. So before I order a new resistor from GSF is there anything else I can check.

The next problem is my rear washer motor. At the end of last year was very slow and sluggish and when I got my GTi back a few days ago it had stopped working completely. No movement either from the blade or the reservoir pump.

As "luck" would have it I have a spare tailgate for my STDT with a motor on it. Removed that and fitted it to the GTi. initially nothing then the reservoir pump started and would not stop even when the rear wipers were not on. The only way to stop it was to remove the bottle and disconnect the pump. Changing the order of the wiring plug in I got the rear wiper working. Unfortunately this was the same as the reservoir pump in that even when the wiper was not meant to be on it would keep going.

I'm now cheesed off and would appreciate some advice and guidance. It does not help that I live on a main road and have to walk between the house and car for about a 100 yards.

Mikey S

on the heater resistor theres a small disc with a spring contact over the top of it holding it in. the majority of the time that contact gets dirty or corrodes up causing the heater fan too pack up. cleaning it with some emery cloth usually brings them back too life again. failing that a new one is around 20 quid iirc, or free from a scrapyard!

mike

MiD

At work through the night and realised before I left home that I still had the relay from my spare STDT tailgate. been nipping outside for the last few hours and have changed the connectors on the relay numerous times but apart from once when I had the wiring totally connected wrongly the same problem persists with the rear wiper. it will not switch off unless the relay is disconnected.

Have considered it may be the stalk but my front wipers are working fine and as they should be.

A few hours interpreting Haynes and my own notes when I disconnected seems to indicate the following connections.

Yellow Wire into 1(86)

Double Black into 2(85)

Double Blue wire into 3(30)

Gray Wire into 4(87a)

White Wire into 5(87)

Have tried two relays with the same results. Could they both be duff and if so how do you know. have looked on Maplins site and they sell a relay for a couple of qiuid would this do as a replacement the specification seems identical to my naive eyes.

I'm desperate for help as this car needs to be in Scotland in 10 days time.

Sign in to follow this