• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
the fonze

205 No Power Cutting Out

the fonze

my 205s developed a little problem as of yesterday. it seems to be cutting out well more dying of at crusing speeds or slowly coming up to speed. it seems to have no power mainly between 2 and 3500rpm but it doesnt cut out and then after a while it drives normally. it comes and goes has happened a few times in the past couple of days. my first thoughts were dodgy fuel/blocked injector or the AFM.....but ive had limited experience of 205s only had it a couple of months.....any ideas?

DamirGTI

Hello !

Yes it could be the AFM or maybe a blocked fuel filter ... but me thinks that it'll be ignition related problem :lol:

Anyway check the Tachometryc relay first (fuel pump relay, try to fit a spare one if you have ) , then if it's fine check the ignition system starting from the plugs/leads and moving forward to dizzy cap , rotor arm , dizzy signal cable (the black cable which goes from the dizzy to the ignition amp. connector) and particularly the ignition amplifier and coil as they can cause most of this cutting out , hesitating , misfiring problems (ignition amplifier is my favorite !) , but usually when the engine warms up to the operating temp. ... and check the ignition timing (if it's a Jetronic car ..)

You can check the AFM by removing the black plastic cover and looking at the black carbon track inside the AFM - if it's scratched or if you see some white spots on the black area then it's worn out , but this can be fixed (if it's not badly damaged/scratched) by retracking the AFM you can read more about that from here :

http://frwilk.com/944dme/afm.htm

Try searching as most of this is already covered before - type AFM , cutting out , ignition amp. etc. and you'll find loads of info maybe something very similar to this problem which you have ..

Hope this helps ! :P

Damir

the fonze

thnks for the advice, ill give everything a once over tomorrow or at the weekend and see, ill take it a spin now and see what its like seems to be very intermittent and ive really no idea whats causing it.

DamirGTI

Is it fine when the engine is cold ? or is it the same - hot or cold ?

Damir

nick

Mine was cutting out..... hot, cold, high revs, low revs..... totally random. It was the ignition amp on mine.

Nick

the fonze

dont know about when cold it never see revs till its fully warmed up..........it doesnt cut out, ill be driving along foot on the floor and the revs just drop to about 2 or 3000 and it chugs along for a while then seems to pick up again.

DamirGTI

Hello !

I see :lol: , well as said check the complete ignition system , the best way is to try with some spare known good parts so if you can find/borrow ignition amp. and coil fit them and see if that helps .. but first check the leads plugs dizzy cap and rotor arm (if you didn't change these last parts for a long time it'll be good to replace them now as the dizzy cap , rotor arm , leads and plugs aren't expensive parts and often could do wonders of old ones are worn out :lol: )

And check/adjust the ignition timing if it's a Jetronic car ..

Regards ! B)

Damir

Sign in to follow this