• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pp205

Altenator Help

pp205

Hi, I have finally sorted my altenator bracket for my Mi by bending it to shape, but the altenator doesn't seem to be charging when the battery is running as the volts do not change on the metre. I have connected it to the starter, but my question is (forgive me for being stupid!) is there an earth running from the altenator? I can't remember having one when I took the 8v engine out!

Any help would be lovely as this is the last thing on the engine that needs sorting before my MOT next Wednesday!!

Cheers Simon

ablister

the alternator earths itself through it's casing to engine so it doesn't have any earth wires.

Have you connected the big battery positive cable onto the alternator after you reffited it?

Edited by ablister

pp205

Do you mean the one from the starter to altenator?

Bonzai

when you turn the key to position two, does the battery light on the dash illuminate? If not the small brown excitor wire A7 is probably not plugged onto the back of the alt.

If thats not it, try revving the engine over 3k rpm and see if it starts charging then, it could be the rectifier pack faulty

pp205

Cheers for the replies guys, yeah I think I plugged it in but will double check as I was adjusting the height on the bracket so may have unplugged it again!

Hope its not a duff altenator, I have another 2 in the garage but now I have fitted the fan housing and radiator there is a tiny gap which I don't think it will fit through!

Sign in to follow this