• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
EsTr3ToR

1.6 Turbo

EsTr3ToR

Hi,

My friend is planning to put turbo in a 1.6 engine. Is it worth doing, or should he go for 1.9 engine at first place?

Havent seen much of 1.6 turbo... ;)

danpug

Turbo Technics did a 1.6 turbo, was 165bhp if i remember correctly. If he wants more power then 1.9 is the way to go, its just as much work so its up to him really.

cybernck

well, it's probably not worth it in terms of final power output, however it's worth it to get some

valuable first hand knowledge on turbo's, plumbing, fiddling with engine management systems

and other things, without fear of blowing up an expensive engine, and then swapping the engine

in favour of a 1.9 or Mi16 later on (and turbocharging that too ofcourse ;)).

you may want to take a look at some of the articles on the main website, starting with this one:

http://www.205gtidrivers.com/articles/e1-gti19turbo1.html

hope this helps :angry:.

danpug

^^For the money involved thats a very good conversion.

averyaaron1979
well, it's probably not worth it in terms of final power output, however it's worth it to get some

valuable first hand knowledge on turbo's, plumbing, fiddling with engine management systems

and other things, without fear of blowing up an expensive engine, and then swapping the engine

in favour of a 1.9 or Mi16 later on (and turbocharging that too ofcourse ;)).

you may want to take a look at some of the articles on the main website, starting with this one:

http://www.205gtidrivers.com/articles/e1-gti19turbo1.html

hope this helps :angry:.

how easy would it be for the 1600 engine as i would have thought the cr would be too high?

welshpug

as long as the fuelling and spark are well controlled (and mapped) there should be no reason to lower the Compression ratio unless you were chasing big bhp.

cybernck

yeah but with VERY low boost, something like 0.4 bars on a T25 ;).

otherwise, a spacer plate (or experimentally just a couple of thick headgaskets :angry:) would lower the C/R a bit.

danpug

You could machine the pistons as TT did, obviously this costs a little but is a good way of doing it.

ifcho

what if you have the 1.6 BDY engine, which has stupidly low compression...something like 8.9:1. I have one in my car and I'm considering adding some woooooooo to it

welshpug

gti is only 9.8 which isnt that high.

Edited by welshpug

EsTr3ToR

1.6 Has even higher compresion ratios than most of 1.9 engines..

Engine Type/No. XU5J - 180A XU5JA - B6D XU5JA/K - B6E XU9J1 - DFZ XU9JA - D6B XU9JA/Z - DKZ

Compression Ratio 9.8:1 9.8:1 9.25:1 8.4:1 9.6:1 9.2:1

We are thinking about wiping out all the AFM and installing a programmable ECU instead.. And the XU engines aren`t that expensive in Lithuania, u can get one from 405 for 100eu max.

the 1.6 produces 115bhp, while the 1.9 produces only 7bhp more.. I`m thinking maybe it has a bigger reserve to go for...

Edited by EsTr3ToR

GLPoomobile

At the end of the day it's going to come down to budget, parts/skills availability, and intended purpose.

Now if it was me, I'd be quite keen to do a 1.6 turbo. Most people are just in to chasing numbers, so why stop at a 1.9, why not go for a 2.3 Steel bottom end? Why not go for a 16v turbo? Blah blah blah.

If you were to use a conservative turbo, keep the compression reasonably high (for forced induction at least) providing you have access to good fuel, and the management is up to it, you could have nice little engine that would lap up fast road action. It'd still be nice and revvy, lag should be minimum, and 170-190bhp (what I'd percieve to be attainable on a modest 1.6 turbo build) would give plenty enough performance without constantly destroying traction etc. And at this point someone comes along and says "pah, why not just sling an Mi16/S16/GTi6 n there?"

Just my 2 cents :)

kjd4000

If anyone is interested there is a 1.6 turbo engine on ebay at the mo. Nothing to do with me just saw it on there the other night.

EsTr3ToR

Thank you all for your opinions and comments, i think we`ll go for it. We just were confused, why there are so little of 1.6 turbo`s...

And at this point someone comes along and says "pah, why not just sling an Mi16/S16/GTi6 n there?"

Because turbo makes right noise for the girls to be impressed :P:D

The car originaly was 1.4 Rolland Garros, we just changed the engine with the 1.6 GTi and dont have any intentions to upgrade it again to Mi16/S16/GTi6.. 1.9 would be the last step :( all the Mi16/S16/GTi6 stuff would start a whole new project, while the old one is not finished yet ;)

We let you know how are we going as soon as we start the turbocharging :P

danpug

If you can afford the aftermarket management then definitely go for it, it'll make alot of difference. Don't drop the compression too low either, you want a bit of decent off boost driving.

ifcho

a megasquirt + inovate lc-1 lambda is $540, not very much wth the current exchange rates :(

Batfink

do it. Modifying is not all about maximum bhp figures. It will be a fun engine with plenty of power for the road. its not really going to be slow is it!

Tom Fenton

In my opinion, yes this is worth doing!

Saveit

You are replying to a post from feb 2008?

DrSarty
You are replying to a post from feb 2008?

Errr, keep up Saveit! ;)

Tom just completed his excellent 1.6 turbo on a budget I believe here he was proving that the idea of some 18 months ago in this thread, has at least once proven to be very worth it indeed.

Saveit
Errr, keep up Saveit! :lol:

Tom just completed his excellent 1.6 turbo on a budget I believe here he was proving that the idea of some 18 months ago in this thread, has at least once proven to be very worth it indeed.

I see the point now ;)

Sign in to follow this