• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lagonda

Bendix Front Calipers: 1989 Cti

lagonda

Just dismantled the caliper, obvious where everything in the repair kit goes, except that there are 4 O rings, & no sign on these on any of the dismantled parts.

They're obviously to do with the sliders ... but where?!

The steel guide tubes have a groove at each end, also there are 3 concentric grooves machined inside the caliper housings where the guide tubes fit, so it could be any of these.

The Haynes manual does show the ring bracketed with item 6 in figure 8.7. Needless to say it's not mentioned in the text.

Please help asap as I need to get it all back together!

DamirGTI

Hi !

Well I'm not sure what type of the O-rings you got within the repair set (maybe they go inside the calipers below the pistons somewhere ?!) , but you need this type of rubber seals for sliders (shaped like valve steam seals but bigger ) :

IMG_6650.jpg

IMG_6651.jpg

You need 4 of these for each caliper (2 seals for one slider – one for left and one for right side of the slider) so 8 pieces total + the big anti dust seal for the pistons (2 pieces) + high temp. brake grease

The grooves inside the caliper housing are for the slider seals (those on the picture , look at the ridge on the bottom of the seals) and you must press the slider seal inside the caliper groove (one each side left/right , and grease the gap first prior to pressing in as it'll be easier ! also smear some grease inside the caliper housing holes ) ... and the grooves on the ends of the sliders serves to "lock" the rubber seals outer ridge in position so that they give tight dust free seal .

Hope this helps ! ;)

Damir

Atari Boy

Excuse the hijack, but where is the best place to gert these kits, Peugeot?

DamirGTI

i remember that Peugeot asked some xy.??$ crazy money for this set ;) and as far as i know it's the only place for buying this repair set (I've been asking my mate who works in a car parts store to try and order this kit from Bendix suppliers but with no luck ..)

Damir

i think that it was around 45.00-50.00(+/-10.00) quid for one side , for just one caliper !

Edited by DamirGTI

GTI6BOY

bigg red do the kit for £20 which does both calipers

lagonda

Hi

Yes, I got my repair kit from Bigg Red, think it was about £20. Annoyingly it didn't include the bleed nipples I expected, or any form of instructions. Otherwise it arrived by return of post & appears fine. Their contact details are 01905 428793, email calipers@biggred.co.uk, site www.biggred.co.uk.

Back to my problem, yes I know where the boots fit .... and now realise obviously the grooves in the guide tubes are to locate the outer ring of the boots. But where do the O rings go ... there are 4 in the kit, & they can only seat in one of the three concentric rings machined in the caliper housing where the guide tubes slide ... but which one?!

lagonda
Hi

Yes, I got my repair kit from Bigg Red, think it was about £20. Annoyingly it didn't include the bleed nipples I expected, or any form of instructions. Otherwise it arrived by return of post & appears fine. Their contact details are 01905 428793, email calipers@biggred.co.uk, site www.biggred.co.uk.

Back to my problem, yes I know where the boots fit .... and now realise obviously the grooves in the guide tubes are to locate the outer ring of the boots. But where do the O rings go ... there are 4 in the kit, & they can only seat in one of the three concentric rings machined in the caliper housing where the guide tubes slide ... but which one?!

Surely someone out there Knows where the O rings go! Need answer urgently as can't progress brake rebuild.

pug_ham

Have you tried asking Bigg Red?

Looking at the diagram you mention in the Haynes manual they appear to go at the end of the slider & inside the boot pictured above between the endplate the bolts fit through.

Graham.

lagonda
Have you tried asking Bigg Red?

Looking at the diagram you mention in the Haynes manual they appear to go at the end of the slider & inside the boot pictured above between the endplate the bolts fit through.

Graham.

Hi Graham,

Yes I've emailed BiggRed but no answer so far. No phone so can't ring!

Haynes is pretty disgraceful on this. Have you noticed that the sliding key kit and the sliding guide kit all allegedly include a bleed nipple cover! Worst of all is item 7 (which also apparently includes one sliding key pin!), the piston seal & boot assembly. The drawing SEEMS to show the piston seal, a ring & a boot). When you dismantle the actual caliper, it's obvious the "ring" is just a part of the poorly drawn boot. Doesn't stop them referring to the non-existent ring in the text. "Every manual based on a stripdown and rebuild"!

Laurence

pug_ham

Hi Laurence,

I'd hazard a guess that the diagrams in Haynes for the calipers are straight from Bendix or the Peugeot parts microfiche & not actually based on a stripdown of the calipers.

TBH if there is nowhere blatantly obvious that these seals fit & the most important bits are all covered (piston seal & outer dust covers) you should imo be fine to finish the rebuild & use the calipers on your car.

If you get a definative answer from Bigg Red about where these seals fit then it won't hopefully be much of a job to fit them but I can't see that they are really needed if they are indeed the ones we have noticed on the Haynes diagram.

Graham.

lagonda

Hi Graham,

Did get a reply from Big Redd but he seemed to be thinking there were 8 O rings in the kit so didn't make any sense.

I'm beginning to think these were for a different (possibly very early) version of the caliper, and as mine seem to have got along quite fine without them, I'll leave them out ... never know, might find another use for them.

I have thought I could fit them later if more info comes along, but worry would be that new boots might get split in the process.

Laurence

Sign in to follow this