• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bakes100

Anyone Put A Ptfe Gasket On A '6?

Bakes100

Hi

As the title, i was wondering if anyone had put one of the PTFE gaskets on a gti6 engined 205?? as i was thinking of getting one on mine but slightly worried about the clearance at the front end??

Dont really want to buy it then find out the inlet mani hits the rad B)

Cheers

welshpug

yes but not in a 205 sorry! it only adds about 4mm to it though. if your manifold was that close I'd be worried about chaffage!

smighall

I've got a PTFE gasket on my normal 6 and on the 6 engine in the 205. I had to make a very small cut on the slam panel to stop any rubbing.

SPGTi

Slightly off topic.

So you put a PTFE gasket on to stop heat transfer to the inlet manifold. So where does the heat go ? Does it stay in the head ? So for example if the inlet manifold temp is decreased by 10C does the head temp increase by 10C ? If this is the case does this extra temp. in the head have any detrimental effects ?

just thinking out loud

Steve

DrSarty
Slightly off topic.

So you put a PTFE gasket on to stop heat transfer to the inlet manifold. So where does the heat go ? Does it stay in the head ? So for example if the inlet manifold temp is decreased by 10C does the head temp increase by 10C ? If this is the case does this extra temp. in the head have any detrimental effects ?

just thinking out loud

Steve

I don't think it is off topic.

I think it's a lucid and important question and I suspect the heat break won't retain 10deg in the head/block, probably more like 2deg, which I guess is tolerable.

Bakes100

okay cool , mine already has some cut aways in the slam panel so it shouldnt be a problem!

I was looking into it as my inlet mani gets very hot after a good run!

Also some of the XU10's have a plastic manifold which surely would cause the same sort of heat retention as having a PTFE gasket? or am i completely wrong B)

welshpug
okay cool , mine already has some cut aways in the slam panel so it shouldnt be a problem!

I was looking into it as my inlet mani gets very hot after a good run!

Also some of the XU10's have a plastic manifold which surely would cause the same sort of heat retention as having a PTFE gasket? or am i completely wrong B)

not quite, they are mounted directly to the head rather than having an insulating gasket so they do still suffer from heat transfer, but it depends which XU10 you mean, if its the S16 this has an alloy section between the head and plastic part.

where were you going to get the gasket from?

I got my one from Rippthrough and I've since learnt that he's doing a further batch, including 8 valve XU gaskets which I'll definitely be interested in trying as my 6 project isn't running as yet whereas my 205 is :D

Edited by welshpug

pj838

Prob depends if you have altered the engine mounts or not. With an extended bottom mount it won't fit B)

Bakes100

Im getting it off a chap on the 306 GTi6 forum, he is doing XU9 ones aswell for the 8 valve i think! so pop on there if your interested, i think they are around 35 quid.

I was reffering to the 2.0 16V xsi engine which iirc has the plastic inlet manifold. B)

My engine isnt tilted and im getting a 3mm one so hopefully i should be okay.

Edited by Bakes100

welshpug

ahh that will the Rippthrough, he's everywhere like me B)

Rippthrough
Slightly off topic.

just thinking out loud

Steve

Into the coolant more than anything. :D

I can do these whatever thickness you'd like really, 5mm is about the optimum, 3mm provides 90% of the benefits, but even 1/2mm gaskets will make a noticable difference to the manifold temperature. I'd fit stainless bolts on the thinner gaskets just to help them along too.

Edited by Rippthrough

Sign in to follow this