• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tonycj

I Want Fog Lights Instead Of Driving Lights!

tonycj

like the title says realy, i am after fog lights that i can have on with my headlights instead of the original driving lights that came on with main beam.

Are there any fog lights available that would fit in the driving light aperture?

i look forward to the replies then i can sort something out!

Many Thanks,

Tony.

welshpug

is Oxfordshire that foggy?

or do you drive around with yer fogs on like innit cos it looks kool :)

sorry, yes they can be changed as some models did run fogs in the Sport front spoiler, GSF sell the right ones I believe.

DrSarty

I'm sorry.

Like WP hinted at; fog lights are FOG LIGHTS - their purpose being to point beneath the fog at the edges of the road to help you see where you are going when there actually is fog. They are NOT for trying to look cool, and as such are actually illegal if used unless it is indeed foggy.

Driving lights come on on high beam, to punch forward to help you see further ahead when you are driving, when oncoming road users aren't gonna be bothered by the extra wattage.

If you really want more visibility, then just fit better - perhaps Xenon - bulbs.

Pleeeze.

Edited by DrSarty

damien

i think your being abit harsh, i was on the M20 tuesday morning and it was really bad fog, i could of done with some front fog lights.

i find that the spot lights are alright but now ive fitted HID lights the spot lights are over powered by the whiteness/brightness of the HID.

im toying with the idea of some front fog, im going to have a look at some of the kits in halford but use the rear foglight switch to turn them on/off

Rob Thomson

Nah, they're completely pointless. You don't need them at all if it's light; they don't help you see and dipped lights are more effective in helping you be seen. At night proper foglamps are only any use in very, very thick fog when even dippped lights produce glare. The problem is that OE-type fog-lights aren't proper, they have s*it beam patterns that don't do anything at all. Proper rally-spec Cibies etc are a different matter, but even those are only useful in very thick fog at night.

Front fog lamps on road cars are very, very gay.

Super Josh
i find that the spot lights are alright but now ive fitted HID lights the spot lights are over powered by the whiteness/brightness of the HID.

Why not put some HIDs in your driving lamps aswell?

Josh

Wallby

Would you be able to wire the original driving lights to work like fog lights, so that they come on seperatly to the main beam??

Grim.Badger
Would you be able to wire the original driving lights to work like fog lights, so that they come on seperatly to the main beam??

Yes easily, but the beam pattern would be wrong and you would probably end up with a load of glare, plus a picky MOT guy might fail it as he would consider them to be wired up incorrectly.

Last time I was in very thick fog even the dipped beams produced too much glare so like Rob I don't see the point in front fogs; my Fiesta has them are they are good for SFA.

McDude

It's been said already - fogs are chavvy and totally useless. I often find myself wondering why they are such common fitment on cars and why people can never use them other than to look like a pie.

Technically it would be easy to wire up a set of fogs though as they require their own unique switch - you could get all the bits from the scrappie from a lesser 205, including the dash switch.

GLPoomobile

I think the first few replies were a bit OTT. The OP never implied he'd be driving around with them on all day, and may well wish to fit them for their intended purpose :D It has been pretty foggy lately.

I've never felt the need for front fogs personally. I used to live in Devon so often had to drive to work on foggy winter mornings, and never had a problem.

tonycj

To be honest i can be responsible for my own actions!

i only asked a simple question and it seems people cant answer it without slagging those asking honest questions.

i thought this was a friendly forum??????

all i wanted to know was:- are there any fog lights, for instance on the 306 model? which would fit in the aperture of the driving lamps on my 205?

What i do with the lights doesnt realy have anything to do with anyone!

Just a simple question with hopefuly a simple answer.

Thanks for the replies, bitchy or otherwise.

Tony.

GLPoomobile
To be honest i can be responsible for my own actions!

i only asked a simple question and it seems people cant answer it without slagging those asking honest questions.

i thought this was a friendly forum??????

all i wanted to know was:- are there any fog lights, for instance on the 306 model? which would fit in the aperture of the driving lamps on my 205?

What i do with the lights doesnt realy have anything to do with anyone!

Just a simple question with hopefuly a simple answer.

Thanks for the replies, bitchy or otherwise.

Tony.

Fair play.

There are lots of fog lights that will fit the valance. Universal types are available in similar sizes, some of those from Ph1 106s and 306s fit I think, and 309 ones should too, as IIRC the 309 came with fogs and driving lights and they are essentially the same bar the different lens.

You'd need to wire them separately which shouldn't be too difficult, or you could wire them so they come on with the rear fog light as someone else mentioned.

But as you can see, the subject of using fog lights when not necessary is a bit of a touchy subject around here, so hopefully you will be using them as they are intended ,and if not, keep quiet about it :D

damien
Why not put some HIDs in your driving lamps aswell?

Josh

didnt think you could becasue of the bulb type.

welshpug

H3 IIRC, which I have seen, though I doubt there would be the space in the body of the lamp to accept a HID light unit without any modification.

Phil H

I have got fog lghts on mine wired into the sidelamp circuit, so could drive on just parking lights and fogs They are the French yellow Siem versions and they do the job in the fog. I have also left them wired so they come on with main beam aswell and no issues wth the MOT.

The 309 GRDT had foglights by Siem, and appear the same as the 205, so these could be used. Also Peugeot 306 Cibie fog lights will fit.

Miles

You'll find on ebay quite often driving lights which are Fog light's made by Siem which are a direct fit, Other than that only the ZX and 306 (phase 1)ones will fit, 405, 309 are all different

yeti-dj

I also got the yellow Siems fog lights on a separate switch but still wired to come on with full beam..

really just got them as they look sweet on my lazer green 205..

Check ebay France, got mine brand new for not alot..

Yeti.

Super Josh
didnt think you could becasue of the bulb type.

You can get an H3C HID bulb. This is a compact version of the H3 and similar in size to the standard Halogen H3.

H3 IIRC, which I have seen, though I doubt there would be the space in the body of the lamp to accept a HID light unit without any modification.

Well I have them in my standard SIEM Driving Lights ;)

Josh

welshpug
You can get an H3C HID bulb. This is a compact version of the H3 and similar in size to the standard Halogen H3.

Well I have them in my standard SIEM Driving Lights ;)

Josh

ahh I did wonder how big the light unit was, any pictures?

damien

;) thanks

DrSarty

TonyCJ:

No offence was meant by anybody. And this is a very passionate and friendly forum. However the chavfilter can kick in quite abruptly sometimes.

All I can do is apologise I suppose.

damien

just been looking on the service box and peugeot still sell the 205 front fog lights but they are £35 each

part number 0000620475

steve@cornwall

I have a couple of sets of citroen fogs ( cibie) which are very similar shape to the pug ones, and look exactly like the ones that were on a 306 s16 at the local scrappy. The mounts are for a different angle fixing, but I can see if they fit into a 205 valance if it helps?

Pug gti lamp on left for comparison

post-7883-1203116813_thumb.jpg

Edited by steve@cornwall

Miles

Yes they do, But you can just screw the lens into the 205 housing, easy as that

steve@cornwall
Yes they do, But you can just screw the lens into the 205 housing, easy as that

Just tried lens-swapping, no- go with the ones I have :D The lenses are slightly too tall, and the curve on the ends left a big gap. So I guess mine are similar to 306 type, but not exactly the same.

Sign in to follow this