• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jonand

S16 Gearbox Same As Mi16 ?

jonand

With the exception of the push type clutch, can anyone confirm that they are the same and will mate up with the 205 BE3 linkages. Its just that the spring loaded change lever (that moves the selector lever forwards and backwards) seems to be loaded in one direction and wont centre itself, there is also an extra ball pivot bracket that came with the gearbox (loose).

Thanks

Jon

jonand

Just found this quote from Taylorspug, which may be relevant as I had just changed over the selector levers prior to having this problem and noticed that the shaft did drop slightly :blush: any ideas?

'Obviously the gear selection fork needs changing for the 205 one aswell, as they are totally different shapes, but thats just a case of knocking out the roll pins and swapping it over. Dont let the shaft drop down into the box though!'

Thanks

Jon

Baz

Hi Jon, not as conversant as some but as for the lack of replies so far i'll have a go. :unsure:

Basically as i know/understand it, 306etc type boxes have a different selector arm that needs changing for the flat 205 type, but when you knock out the roll pin and change this, make sure the shaft doesn't drop as then you'll lose 2nd and reverse gear iirc, if it hasn't fully dropped it might be ok. Other than that, pretty sure it's a straight swap once the clutch operation is changed too. I don't think that extra bracket is needed either, - semi circular mounts to the back ofthe box behind the diff?

Hopefully someone will confirm what i've said!!

Alastairh

Correct.

Al

Baz
:D Blimey, i know more than i think i do... Pitcrew?? :lol::unsure:

jonand

Thanks guys, looks like I've cocked it up because when changing levers over the shaft did drop slightly now cannot engage 5th / reverse gate. Does anyone know if there is a quick remedy or does the casing have to be separated :blush:

jackherer
Hi Jon, not as conversant as some but as for the lack of replies so far i'll have a go. :blush:

Basically as i know/understand it, 306etc type boxes have a different selector arm that needs changing for the flat 205 type, but when you knock out the roll pin and change this, make sure the shaft doesn't drop as then you'll lose 2nd and reverse gear iirc, if it hasn't fully dropped it might be ok. Other than that, pretty sure it's a straight swap once the clutch operation is changed too. I don't think that extra bracket is needed either, - semi circular mounts to the back ofthe box behind the diff?

Hopefully someone will confirm what i've said!!

Its actually fifth and reverse that become unselectable.

jonand

SORTED :blush:;)

After careful crutiny of the parts CD, I ascertained that the lever was simply a fork that engages in the selector shaft disc. Presumably when the lever shaft dropped, it was just enough to allow the fork to disengage from the disc and move to the side - this meant that the lever shaft could only operate the selector shaft in one direction i.e. it could push but not pull - hence the loss of the 5th / reverse gate.

I simply removed the lever again and carefully pushed the lever shaft into the casing enough to allow it to rotate back into its proper location, then re-fitted the lever being careful not to allow the shaft to rotate.

Thought I'd pass this on in case anyone else found themselves in a similar predicament.

Thanks again

Jon

Sign in to follow this