• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
c_r_thomson

Gti6 Lambda Sensor......

c_r_thomson

Hi all, I'm getting a Gti6 lump from a crash damaged car this weekend and trying to decide all that i need to take from the car.

Lump

Loom

ECU

Battery Box

All hoses

In/Out manifolds

My 1.9 Gti is non cat and was going to use this exhaust with the new engine. From what i can gather, the Lambda sensor on the Gti6 is just forward from the cat. Do i really need this? If so, do i just tap it into my old exaust? where?

Thanks guys, Craig

TurboSam

yeah you really need the lambda

you need to weld a boss into the downpipe to fit it into your system

Alastairh

Yes.

You'll need to weld a lamba boss nut onto the down pipe.

Al

welshpug

if you can get the gti6 downpipe/cat with the engine just cut off the cat section and weigh it in, use the rest.

c_r_thomson

Thanks for the advice guys!

I've left a message with the guy asking how much he wants for the exhaust. it's a s/s system fitted at the moment but i don't know what kind.

I'll just alter the exhaust and manifold to get rid of the clearance issues and cut back the couling for the inlet.

I'm sure there will be many more questions to come in the next few weeks.

Ta, Craig

whizzer71
Thanks for the advice guys!

I've left a message with the guy asking how much he wants for the exhaust. it's a s/s system fitted at the moment but i don't know what kind.

I'll just alter the exhaust and manifold to get rid of the clearance issues and cut back the couling for the inlet.

I'm sure there will be many more questions to come in the next few weeks.

Ta, Craig

You dont need to cut the cowling for a 6 conversion there are no clearance issues for the inlet manifold,you only need to cut and alter the angle of the exhaust manifold and then get it re welded by some one who does stainless welding.

As Welshpug has commented use the original 6 downpipe and cut the cat out of it ,alternetely use a Gti6 de cat pipe and mate that to the rest of your 205's system.

:)

pugpete1108

i didnt get the lambda when i brought my 6 engine :) . i managed to get a ford one and weld the boss to my cut and shut downpipe, with a reangled engine clearance seems ok (still havent driven it yet though).

c_r_thomson

So you still need to lengthen the bottom mount even with the re-angled exhaust? Is that just for clearance of the master cylinder then. I was under the impression it would sit at the natural angle after the manifold was changed.

pugpete1108
So you still need to lengthen the bottom mount even with the re-angled exhaust? Is that just for clearance of the master cylinder then. I was under the impression it would sit at the natural angle after the manifold was changed.

i didnt re angle the exhaust, i just tilted the whole engine about 3-4 degs, that was enough i hope, its got about 20mm clearance round the tunnel (i also bashed the seam flat which helped)

whizzer71

I didnt alter the bottom mount at all,I will admit the master cylinder was snug to the cam box/belt cover but I shaved some off the belt cover and changed the retaining bolt in the rear cam cover under the master cylinder,I also "tweaked" a bar between the master cylinder and the cam cover to give some more clearance,didnt take much either but be carefull as if you give it too much you'll break the vac seal between the cylinder and the servo.

If I do another Ill prob space the bottom of the pedal box / servo to give a bit more of an angle on the cylinder,either that or use a ford mount (RS2000 from burton) to drop the engine a fraction and then space the gearbox mount.

Would advise the uprated mount set from BBM also,keeps the engine located where it should be !

Theres many ways around the issue just do whats best for you !

A pic if it helps ,you can only just see the master cylinder.

;)

c_r_thomson

That really does help! Thanks,

I've got a 406 Master cylinder and i uprated all my engine mounts recently. My engine hasn't arrived yet but is the bottom mount the same? as in the same removable housing for the driveshaft bearing etc?

whizzer71

Yes use your existing bottom mount from your old engine if you have the uprated bush in it,It will be a straight swap.

;)

pugpete1108
I didnt alter the bottom mount at all,I will admit the master cylinder was snug to the cam box/belt cover but I shaved some off the belt cover and changed the retaining bolt in the rear cam cover under the master cylinder,I also "tweaked" a bar between the master cylinder and the cam cover to give some more clearance,didnt take much either but be carefull as if you give it too much you'll break the vac seal between the cylinder and the servo.

If I do another Ill prob space the bottom of the pedal box / servo to give a bit more of an angle on the cylinder,either that or use a ford mount (RS2000 from burton) to drop the engine a fraction and then space the gearbox mount.

Would advise the uprated mount set from BBM also,keeps the engine located where it should be !

Theres many ways around the issue just do whats best for you !

A pic if it helps ,you can only just see the master cylinder.

;)

i spaced out the pedal box too and have got loads of clearance now also fitted a set of bbm mounts to keep things in place

Super Josh

How much did you space out the pedal box Pete? Did you just put a varying number of washers on the lower studs?

Josh

pj838

Thats what I did, use different amounts of washers - iirc 5 on the bottom bolts. Clearance is still small, however with the altered mounts and solid BBM rubbers, there's hardly any movement and no signs of rubbing/contact.

Another thing to consider is the amount of vibrations caused inside the car...

c_r_thomson

Where are the bolts for the pedal box? Behind the brake servo? sorry for the dullard question :unsure:

whizzer71
Where are the bolts for the pedal box? Behind the brake servo? sorry for the dullard question :blush:

You get to them in the footwell behind the dash,just remove the lower o/s section of the dash and the steering column and then you can get to them easily,you may have to remove some of the sound deadening sponge also.

;)

c_r_thomson

Spot on, More clearance can only be a good thing!! :lol:

pugpete1108
How much did you space out the pedal box Pete? Did you just put a varying number of washers on the lower studs?

Josh

i used rigid plastic washers around 5mm thick, this may have been a little bit overkill tbh but it works and got loads of clearance.

SurGie

What can you use to seal up the MC to the bulk head when using washers to raise the MC, so its nice and sealed without it ever cracking ?

Sign in to follow this