• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mjs87

Pics Of How To Set The Idle On My 205gti

Guest mjs87

does anyone have pics on how to start and finish a tune on a 205 gti 1.6 k reg as i would like to do it my self and fix my idle etc where can i find all of these screws to adjust each problem i have read about them but im not sure where to start thank you for your help very much appreciated

trialster

the idle speed adjustment screw is on the top side of the throttle body. it accepts a flat head screwdriver, quite easy to spot!

the idle mixture screw is on the air flow meter (between the throttle body and the air filter). you may have to prise off a tamper proof plug if fitted. the tool for adjustment is a 5mm allen key.

what is it exactly that you need to do?

Will

Edited by trialster

welshpug

amusingly the haynes manual covers this quite accurately :o

basic procedure involves setting the basic throttle idle position and idle speed, then once this is done you can adjust the mixture then the ignition timing, following that you'll need to re-adjust the idle speed, but only with the throttle bypass screw.

McPikie
amusingly the haynes manual covers this quite accurately :ph34r:

basic procedure involves setting the basic throttle idle position and idle speed, then once this is done you can adjust the mixture then the ignition timing, following that you'll need to re-adjust the idle speed, but only with the throttle bypass screw.

Exactly what I needed to hear

welshpug

I might actually type it all up on the forum as so many people don't seem to have a copy!

pug_ham
I might actually type it all up on the forum as so many people don't seem to have a copy!
The section from the Haynes service & replir manual can be downloaded from www.205GTI.com, copy & paste from the resulting pdf;

Multi-point fuel injection models

Idle speed adjustment;

• Ensure that all electrical loads are switched off. If the car does not have a tachometer (rev counter), connect one to the engine, following its manufacturer’s instructions. Note the idle speed, and compare it with that specified.
  • If adjustment is necessary, turn the air screw (LE2-Jetronic) or idle speed adjustment screw (LU2-Jetronic and Motronic M1.3) in the throttle housing to obtain the specified idling speed (see illustrations). If, on the LE2-Jetronic system, the correct speed cannot be obtained by means of the air screw, check and adjust the throttle initial position as described in Chapter 4C, Section 10.

Idle mixture CO level adjustment;

Note: Adjustment of the idle mixture CO content is only possible on the LE2-Jetronic system. On The LU2-Jetronic and Motronic M1.3 systems it is controlled by the fuel injection system ECU.

• The idle mixture (exhaust gas CO level) is set at the factory, and should require no further adjustment. If, due to a change in engine characteristics (carbon build-up, bore wear etc) or after a major overhaul, the mixture setting is lost, it can be reset.
    Note, however, that an exhaust gas analyser (CO meter) will be required to check the mixture, in order to set it with the necessary standard of accuracy; if this is not available, the car must be taken to a Peugeot dealer for the work to be carried out.
  • If an exhaust gas analyser is available, follow its manufacturer’s instructions to check the exhaust gas CO level. If adjustment is required, prise out the tamperproof cap on the airflow sensor and use an Allen key to adjust the mixture (see illustration). Turn the screw in to richen the mixture and out to weaken it.
  • Blip the throttle two or three times and then recheck that the idle speed and mixture is correct.
  • When adjustments are complete, disconnect the test equipment, and fit a new tamperproof plug to the mixture adjustment screw.

Attached image of the idle speed adjustment screw on the throttle body. It can be recessed into the body but its still in the same place.

Graham.

post-71-1202425749.jpg

welshpug

I remembered that as soon as I hit post Graham!

I think where many people go wrong is with the screws on the throttle body, and if they adjust the throttle stop it throws the TPS adjustment out, a whole cycle of doom starts then :P

Sign in to follow this